Chapter 40

I came to my little hut in the middle of the jungle when Tiamat dragged me back to my cave. I was asked to stay there till she got what I believed as essentials are being brought over. I asked for my dagger, the ring and the mirror to brought over. I recalled a few things that the mermaids used that came in handy previously. Then I walked back to the huge dragon skull and found that the mirror was missing. I asked for it repeatedly till it was finally returned to me. I didn't understand why they had a problem with a piece of glass. On the bright side they didn't smash it. I thought that it would be returned to me as a jigsaw puzzle.

I was summoned to Hoverla in Ukraine. The lush trees that encompass the property. The multicolored birds flying above sing with each flap of it's wings. The sight of a river flowing lazily. It was a picturesque scene that is straight out of painter's dream. The sight was 'stop your heart beat' beautiful. I asked one of the locals if this was a dream. He smiled as he escorted me to the main hall. The scene inside was less pleasant. There was a panel of very stern faced creatures staring at an empty chair. There were people from both sides. The good side was dress like royalty. The dark was dressed like Goths. I was amongst the people who summoned for details regarding Tiamat's mom. When it was my turn I explained in detail what I had heard and saw. They asked me how I had managed to find her so easily so I showed them the compass. There was a sharp gasp then I was asked by both sides to hand over the compass but I didn't. I had a feeling that if I hand it over then it would be the cause of future problems. So I just said that I rather return it to it's owner. I was told that since the compass worked for me. It is officially mine. I was asked very rudely to hand it over. So I said that I rather keep it since I might have a use for it. I thought that there was going to be a few tantrums but all they gave me was a dirty look. They didn't press the subject any further. I was excused as the next person was told to step forward with information.

I was moved to the warrior's quarters till someone ran to apologize profusely and escort me to the mermaid's Oasis. It is located in the east wing. It was a meadow with a huge pool, a stream and a pond. I saw that the mermaid are trying to adjust to walking on legs as they carried stuff that they believed that they will need. I saw a burlap sack with snakes poking out every now and then. I asked the mermaids what it was and what it was doing here. They said it was Medusa's head and apparently I requested it as a security measure. I wanted to sneak a peak but was pushed back after the mermaid requested that I did not attempt to approach unless I was permitted to do so by Brita's permission.
Atla and Brita arrived shortly by Adsila and Aquene. Zola and her daughter arrived too and they all took their respective monster forms. The moment they changed it felt like the little mermaid version I was used to imagine was a mirage.

I was asked to show Zola what I saw and I did. She let out a roar and her tail slashed a tree and it fell down with a crash. I jumped back and she stared at me as though she was saying stay still. So I froze like a statue. She turned to face her kids and relatives. She let out a shriek that raised the hairs in the back of my head. Tiamat let out a roar and her children responded in kind. The other mermaids queens let out a shriek and their babies and siblings responded menacingly.

Zola waved her hand and I assumed that she wants to drag me like a rag doll. So I gave her my hand. She brushed my hand aside and felt around till she pulled out the mini mirror from my pocket. She stared at it for a moment before she threw it into the pond. Tiamat stared at the reflection and her mother's face came into view. Soon the water in the pond turned into a whirlpool and it opened a vortex displaying where she was. I picked up the bag that held Medusa's head and walked forth.

I was the first to go in and the others followed behind me. The first to attack us were a bunch of witches. They threw fireballs at us. I had to hide as I tried to figure out what to do. I extended the burlap sack to the nearest mermaid when I realized that I can use what is inside to deal with those menaces. I opened the burlap sack and fished out the head. They tried to scream but before they could say anything to counter the head they turned to stone. I stuffed the head back where it belongs and walked forward.

I heard a clang and knew that I was in for a fight so I pulled out my dagger and caressed it. The blade instantly became as hot as a furnace. There was a hissing sound and a sound that resembles claws scraping metal. I held onto the handle as I saw a huge scorpion with the tail replaced with a snake. Somehow I knew that Medusa's head is useless. I only had one chance. I used it to cut the snake off. The snake burnt to ashes before it hit the floor. I quickly plunge the dagger into the scorpion's head. It started to burn and it screamed in pain. Soon flames engulfed it and it was ashes in moments.

The next adversary was a minotaur. It swung it's axe trying to chop off my head. I jumped up to the ceiling and jumped here and there till the axe got stuck on a rock. The others waited till it was distracted to attack and rip him to pieces and ate him. We came upon an open space that resembled the desert. So I pulled out the compass and started to walk till I found the way to Tiamat's mom.

The next obstacle was floating zombie sharks. Tiamat wiggled her fingers and electricity shot out of her fingers. They were cooked in no time. The next was a pile of rocks. They looked like terminate hills. As we walked past these weird structure I heard someone blowing a horn. These rock piles began to collapse like a bunch of dominos. Then these things started to stack themselves till they resembled terracotta soldiers. They flicked what resembled their hands. Spikes came out and they charged at us. The mermaids waved their tails and I used a spear that Brita had loaned me. We smashed them in a matter of moments and it felt tranquil till the ground shook. Then the rubble started to drag itself to a corner. Then they reassemble themselves. They charged again to defeat us. I realized that they will keep attacking till we are exhausted so I recommended that we make a tactical retreat. We ran to the nearest crack that would fit us.

I heard a woman singing. The woman was enjoying a swim. She seems to be having the time of her life. She jumped up and down to show her excitement to be swimming. It was a though this was a privilege that she was denied for ages. There was a very unusual structure next the pool that caught my attention. It was a metal frame of a cuboid. I walked towards the cuboid but Adsila and Aquene dragged me away from it.