09

゚+*:ꔫ:*  smoldering children﹥*:ꔫ:*+゚

"Ladies and gentlemen, the ham." Constance Langdon said walking into the dining room.

"It looks lovely." Tate smiles.

"Now, who wants to say grace?"

"Oh, mother, can we?" Tates asks.

"Oh, of course, son." Lawrence cuts in. "I was hoping you and your sister would choose to become a part of this family." Beverly rolls her eyes as they all hold hands.

"Dear God, thank you for this salty pig meat we are about to eat, along with the rest of the indigestible swill." Tates starts.

"And thank you for our new charade of a family. My father ran away when I was only six. If I'd have known any better, I would have joined him." Beverly continues, her brother trying not to laugh.

"And, also, because she's been trying to get back into this house ever since she lost it, Lord, a BIG thank you for blinding the asshole that's doing my mother, so that he can't see what everybody knows-"

"-she doesn't really love him." They both finish.

"Amen." Adelaide says while her mother lights a cigarette.

"Now, Tate, Beverly, I know that you've had a hard time making the adjustment, with all the recent changes--moving back in here after the. . . the tragedy that my own family went through-"

"They burned themselves alive after you were cheating on your wife with Constance, Lawrence." Beverly spits, leaning towards him.

"It was. . . That was nobody's fault. Passion drove her to it. One day you'll understand. There are sacrifices you have to make in the name of love." Lawrence spits back. "On a lighter note, I have reserved tickets for everybody, for Saturday, at our community theater, for the opening night of Brigadoon. I'm delighted to be debuting in the chorus." Lawrence continues as if nothing happened.

"Well, I, for one, shall be there with bells on." Constance says while taking a sip of her drink.

"Thank you, darling, for being so supportive and encouraging. You have allowed me to explore another facet of my self."

"Yay, I love the theater!" Adelaide exclames.

"Don't, Addie!" Tate yells, smashing his fist on the table. "You're a smart girl. You know he killed our brother!"

"Stop it! Beau died in his slumber, of natural causes. Now, you know he had a respiratory ailment. Your brother's in a better place. He suffered with every breath that he took." Constance explained.

"Bullshit! He only suffered because of you!" Beverly yells.

"You know, Beverly, Tate, unlike your siblings, you were graced with so many gifts. How is it that you can't bring yourselves to use them? Just a smile, or a kind word, could open the gates to heaven."