09

as much as you despised getting all dressed up, you had to admit that mina made the whole experience ten times better.

she was amazing at doing hair and makeup, which was something you usually didn't feel the need to go overboard on since you had always kept it simple.

"gosh y/n, atsumu is gonna swoon over you." mina commented as she spritzed hair spray on your curls. "what? no way- atsumu doesn't like me in that way.." you said quickly, and mina just laughed. "oh yeahhh sure he doesn't. come on y/n stop kidding yourself. you should see the way he looks at you." you just nodded along trying your best not to look flustered by your friend's comments.

there's no way atsumu has real feelings for me.

right?

the signs were definitely there, but you had done your best to ignore them. there was always a chance of rejection, and no matter how small that chance was- it was enough to keep you from telling atsumu how you really felt.

"ready?" mina asked as you waited at the top of the stairs. the twins were waiting for you at the bottom. "this is so extra." you said, but let a small nervous smile lose. mina giggled then linked her arm in yours, and together you walked down the stairs.

atsumu's pov:
to be completely honest, i was totally over lani. it wasn't possible to have any feelings for her when all of my thoughts were on y/n. i had completely fallen for her, but i obviously couldn't just out and say it. i swear that every time i talk to her everything around me goes fuzzy.

so when she came down those stairs, let's just say i wasn't quite ready.

samu nudged me as i adjusted my tie and nodded toward the girls coming down toward us.

y/n.

sure, i had always thought that y/n was quite beautiful, but seeing her in that dress was like seeing a whole new side of her. for one, i could tell that she was slightly nervous, which was ironic considering she never really seemed to lose her cool. her cheeks were lightly flushed, and the way she met my gaze and smiled at me before looking down again made my head spin.

y/n's pov:
okay so maybe prom wasn't gonna be as bad as you originally thought it would be. lani was definitely sufficiently jealous, but to be honest you weren't even focused on her anymore. all you were focused on was the wacky but charming blonde boy standing behind you.

atsumu wrapped his arms around your waist from behind and rested his chin on your shoulder as you both watched mina and osamu laughing their heads off at who knows what.

"they're so cute." you commented wistfully. atsumu chuckled and nodded. "see, look at us playing matchmaker." you rolled your eyes and turned to face him. "you mean look at me playing matchmaker. i don't remember you really doing all that much." you said, and he laughed again, his hands sliding from your waist to your hands. "fair fair. come on, dance with me."

you weren't much of a slow dancer- you never really had been; but swaying with atsumu was something you could easily do for hours. you wrapped your arms around his neck and nestled your chin on his shoulder comfortably, causing him to smile softly. "i thought you hated slow dancing." he teased. "oh shut up." you responded with a hint of a smile in your voice.

by the end of the song, you pulled back and hadn't even realized how close you were to him. atsumu's eyes drifted momentarily to your lips, and you felt yourself subconsciously leaning in towards him to close the gap.

he'll finally know how i really feel.

but he didn't. he didn't kiss you.

instead, he pressed a kiss to your forehead, then just left. you couldn't pretend you weren't the slightest bit hurt by his actions. you were almost certain that he had been planning to kiss you, so why did he pull away at the last second?

does he not want to kiss me?

atsumu's pov:
i wanted to kiss her.

more than anything.

but all i could think about was last weekend when i tried to and she pulled away. she probably didn't want me to kiss her- probably didn't feel as i did about her, so i sort of just panicked.

i decided to go back and talk to her, but i found her slow dancing with aran. i cant pretend it wasn't a punch in the gut. they were so..close. i know it was childish of me to jump to conclusions again, but i did.

y/n looked up and found me, then her calm expression changed and she started calling after me, but i was already gone.

no worries y/n. message received.

y/n's pov:
the only reason you had been dancing with aran was because you were still a little upset about atsumu, and aran happened to notice.

he asked if you wanted to dance, and said he wanted to explain what had really happened the night atsumu found him with lani. you were curious, so you agreed.

you were only so close because he didn't want anybody else to hear. that was it.

so when you saw atsumu and how hurt he looked, you instantly felt guilty, even though you knew that you had done nothing wrong. you chased after him, bumping into mina and osamu on the way. "have you seen atsumu?" you asked frantically. mina and osamu glanced at each other with worry then nodded. "uh..yeah." osamu started. "he went that way, down by the greenhouse..why do you-" but before he could finish you were already heading in that direction.

you found atsumu angrily skipping rocks into the small pond by the greenhouse, and you paused to catch your breath before approaching him. "had fun with aran?" he asked bluntly, then chucked a flat stone across the water. "atsumu, it wasn't what it looked like." you said in an exasperated tone. "we just-" atsumu cut you off easily. "what? just were, trying things out? going to him all because i left you for like- what? eight minutes?"

you could feel your anger growing. "aran came up to me because you ditched me! and i don't even know what that was all about! he was just being nice." you yelled. atsumu glanced at you, then let out a frustrated sigh. "yeah. right."

you practically shook with anger.

he couldn't possibly really be upset with you. you weren't even really dating. he was being unfair and not even taking the time to believe you. that's when you snapped, and could feel the tears flowing.

"if anything, aran is helping me! he's helping me in keeping myself together and not exposing my feelings for you!" you broke out in frustrated tears at your confession, and his expression softened a bit.

he got up to stand across from you, and take your face in his hands. "in sorry y/n, i should've let you finish explaining. i just..jump to conclusions easily." he said softly. you nodded and sniffed roughly. atsumu smiled, and used his thumbs to wipe away your tears.

"but i hope you know that i like you too."

he gave you one more innocent smile pressing his lips to yours. you felt your tears fade away and yourself melting into his light touch. it was everything you wanted and more; right here.

suddenly, the sprinkler system went off, spraying you both and soaking your clothes through. atsumu pulled away with his forehead pressed to yours. he chuckled a little and spoke.

"of course we get interrupted." you just smiled and tilted his head to look at you again. "i don't mind getting wet if you don't."

atsumu smiled and eagerly pulled you in again by your waist. you could feel him smiling against your lips, and that smile was contagious. he picked you up so that you could wrap your legs around him without breaking the kiss once, and his hands held your waist steady as you cupped his face.

prom wasn't so bad after all.

AWWW YES YES YES i was rooting for the two of you. this may seem like the end but it isn't!! i've still got some loose ends to wrap up in 1-2 more chapters. for now, enjoy your day/night :))
-M <33