8. 'The Escape'

Yet again another mission, this time something massive. If we fail, HYDRA will fall. There won't be much left of it. I wouldn't know what I would do without HYDRA, I wouldn't have anything. Although HYDRA had taken my life, they have also saved it.

Maybe I wouldn't be alive, but the lives I'd taken, the pain I'd created and the damaged I'd caused. I was a danger to this society, the innocent screams overtook my head as I tried to sleep, the fear painted on children, adults and elders faces as I quickly ended their lives haunted my thoughts. Everything I had done, HYDRA had made me into a monster, there was no excuse for what I had done.

I was there to do their dirty work only made into the person I had become so they could give people this freedom and peace whereas all they wanted was power and control. People that have mourned and had their lives taken from them; they were the people that deserved it the least. People that I had inflicted pain upon for what, they don't seem like a threat to HYDRA.

Silence is all that could be heard from me and the Winter Soldier, no conversation really happened when we were around each other. There wasn't much to be said between us. Around us was completely different, guns are being fired, there were planes flying with HYDRA agents inside. A birdman was flying around dodging shots, flying high and low. It was chaotic.

Bucky and I's mission was based on the person I'd wanted it to be least about. Steve Rogers, I remembered how I'd felt for the man. He seems taller and has more muscle. I've got to say its not a bad look, but I hope he is still the same person at heart, and it hasn't got to his head.

*flashback to not that long ago*

I woke up in a dark cell, 'Where am I?' I thought.

I clutched my hurting head, it felt as if my body had been thrown into the cell. It wasn't functioning very well, and I needed some food. Once again, I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten. The small cage I was kept in made me feel like an animal: trapped, hurting and whimpering.

Guards were pacing up and down the narrow corridor. The only thing keeping me calm was watching them as they walked along casually sliding their baton against a cell, trying to scare any prisoners, before taking it off and continuing their pattern. Dampness was present on the once grey floor, which was now a murky brown or black colour. I wore a t-shirt that was too big and cargo trousers. Both of them were now covered in dirt and water from the cell floor that I woke up lying on.

My head was twisting and turning until my thought became steady and didn't feel overwhelming. I heard a shout of pain, Bucky's shout. The man I grew up with as well as Steve Rogers. Yes, Steve Rogers, I remember him the man I was once in love with. At this moment in time, I'm not quite sure what love is, nobody has been here to show me this feeling. I guess only time will tell, there is one thing I do know in this moment: as soon as I get a chance to get out of here I will.

*end of flashback*

Pilots, innocent men, walked towards their jets. Talking to each other and their leader on a walkie-talkie that they were the only chance, they were the only things that are going to be in the sky on their side, except from Sam Wilson. For our mission to succeed we needed to make sure the pilots didn't get into the air.

I took out my gun and so does the winter soldier, we shoot exploding the road in front of them. They immediately scramble, trying to get to their planes to support Steve and Sam. I aimed my gun toward the men, my hands shaking as I did so. It's almost as if now I remembered Steve and some people from my past, I have my conscience when I've been turned into my other self.

I shoot the man; he falls down to the floor. Most likely injured or dead. I picked up a fallen grenade from the floor, as if it weren't anything dangerous and throw it into one of the jets. Then walked off as if it's nothing, I'm a murder. I know I will never forget the moments like this. I'm in control yet I'm still doing this, I'm being selfish. This will only help my benefit, anyone that dies or get injured for this will have died trying to fight for the right cause.