10. 'Romania'

I twisted and turned trying to fall asleep, I looked beside me at the man cutely, and lightly snoring. Bucky always fell asleep before me even if he were afraid of the nightmares that would creep into his peaceful slumber. He was stronger than me on so many levels, going through everything I had and more and still being the person, he is today. Yes, he blamed himself and yes, he calls himself a monster, but the man is strong.

So here I was lying on the double mattress that was old and slightly uncomfortable; there were tears in places and springs that could nip at your skin if you lay in the wrong spot. The mattress was on the floor, as its the best place for it to be. Nobody can see us from the window, and we have no bed frame to put it on. We definitely weren't living our best life, not that I was sure thats the life that was in store for Bucky and I. Our life was never going to be normal or spectacular.

Time skip

I woke the next morning having a small amount of sleep after being up all night with my mind buzzing of memories that I didnt want to have. My memories were slowly getting better I remember more people than Bucky and I seemed I remember a lot more than he did, about our past and about our time at HYDRA. Of killing, of torturing, of destroying families. I believed if anyone were to be blamed for injuries, death, and grief it was to be me. I was the one who committed the crime. Yes, HYDRA messed with my mind and forced me to do my missions, but I could have been stronger. I could have pushed through the torture. Overall, I could have been better.

I stood from the tattered bed, then shook the still sleeping man next to me. His piercing blue eyes slowly opened then shut from the harsh light that glared into the abandoned apartment. I chuckled at him slightly.

Then whispered, We need to get up it's late. I pointed towards the clock I had put into the room, which I'd found lying around on the streets as it wasn't in bad shape, I brought it home. Also, whenever I saw batteries, I would either purchase them with the little money we had or pick them from the floor. As I said not living our best lives. It was nearly 10am, normally by this time we would be out buying things from the market living our undercover lives. We decided to keep stuff to ourselves and when we got here, around a month or so ago, and went everywhere together people made assumptions as to what we were. It only made it easier for us to work around the HYDRA situation, so we went along with it.

We quickly got ready for the day; the market was pretty much the only place we would be going today. We needed to get food with money we had either found lying around on the floor or done simple jobs for anyone who needed help with daily chores. Sometimes that would be working at a stall, as we had picked up a bit of Romanian as we stayed here. Really, we only had to give a greeting ask, 'do you want a bag?', give the price then send off our regards. It's easy money. We are lucky nobody has found us yet here this is one of the longest times weve spend in a single place.

We walked out the door, locking it behind us using the key that was obviously places under the plant pot. I tucked the key safely into my pocket, then walked towards Bucky who was already walking towards the market square. I slipped my hand into his to make sure we didn't get separated; it was something we had both gotten used to. I had never seen the man as more than a friend. Mine and his relationship was more of a brother and sister bond. I felt it would always be that way. Often, I thought about Steve, how I used to feel about him. I feel he had his own love in the 40's, and before I felt he always saw me as more of a sister. I wasn't too caught up and sad about this part knowing we wouldn't see each other for a while or for the rest of our lives. Boy, was I wrong...

On the way to the market, we nodded and greeted people we knew as we walked past them. Once we finally got to the stall we wanted, which was in fact Bucky's favourite: plums. They were said to help with memory, and he wanted to remember as much as he could. Even though the bad outweighed the good the happy feeling we got after receiving a good memory was worth some of the pain. Letting go of my hand, he traced his hand above the plums looking at which ones to choose. He spoke to the man at the stall to tell him which plums he wanted. Then paid, grasping my hand again almost as if I would run away if he didnt.

We walked around for a while taking in the fresh air. I walked towards a road trying to find a place to cross to the other side of the pavement an ambulance rushed past with its light and sirens on. After the road was clear to cross, I went not realising Id let go of Buckys hand until I had reached the other side. I turned around looking at the man. He looked lost, panicked slightly. He looked around then crossed, I walked towards him and slid my hand into his and squeezed it lightly to try and give him a slight comfort. I followed his line of sight that was set on a kiosk, the worker was no longer there.

Bucky dragged me towards the kiosk and picked up a newspaper once again letting go of my hand. His face was a mix of shock, confusion, and anger. I looked down at the paper grabbing it from his hands, the headline was titled, Winter Soldier Wanted for the Vienna Bombing. After seeing this is decide its better for us to go home. We walk using the outskirts of town to keep free from most people out. It took us a while to get there. When we were walking up the stairs something felt off.

"Do you hear that baby crying, again?"

1103words.

Thanks for reading and 150+ views I really appreciate it and please make comments so I know your enjoying it :)

Make sure to eat, drink and talk to someone.

-erin