Home Again

Finding their way back to camp was easy enough with Rachel's help. They didn't run into anymore monsters or traps or blood-lusting titans.

Ali held Percy's hand as they walked over the border past Thalia's tree. It was good to be back. Hopefully, she wouldn't have to leave for a while. Unfortunately, with everything going on, she doubted she'd get the chance to rest.

As if sensing her fruitless desires, Chiron galloped up to them. "You're back."

"And in one piece." Percy joked.

Chiron flashed them a warm smile, but it faded when he noticed Grover and Ali's solemn faces. "It seems we have much to discuss."
                                    *   *   *
Chiron sat stroking his beard as Ali explained what had happened in the Labyrinth. The others piped in to add details that she'd forgotten, or had been trying to forget.

"The worst part is," she finished. "I knew he only needed one more half-blood. I meant to tell you when I got back, but... so much was happening and... gods I can't believe I forgot." She sighed. "This is my fault. If I'd just told you, maybe we could've..."

"What?" Chiron cut in. "If you weren't able to dissuade this Ethan Nakamura when you were with him, what could I have done from here?" He placed a hand on Ali's shoulder. "This is not your fault. Kronos' rising was inevitable. I'd simply hoped it'd take longer." His gaze settled on Annabeth. "Gather the campers. We must prepare for an invasion."
                                     *   *   *
Percy caught up to Ali as she walked towards the woods to meet up with the rest of camp at the entrance to the Labyrinth. He grabbed her hand and pulled her to a stop. "Come on." He nodded towards the dock. "I think we could both use a little break."

A grin tugged at Ali's lips and she nodded, letting him lead her down to the dock.

They sat with their feet in the water, watching the waves crash against the sandy shore.

Ali sighed. The water felt good, but not as rejuvenating as it had a few days ago.

Percy kicked his feet lazily through the water, his hand resting on hers.

They didn't say anything, just sat together, enjoying the peace and quiet - the calm before the storm.

Finally, Ali sighed. "We should join the others. It's going to take everything we've got face the army that's coming."

Percy nodded, pulling his feet out of the water.
* * *
Percy and Ali found the others forming ranks and setting traps around Zeus' Fist - the entrance to the Labyrinth. Dozens of teenagers scurried through the area, sharpening weapons, fiddling with their armor, or lugging medical supplies to a tent. At the outskirts of the chaos, an owl crest leered down from above the door to a tent where Annabeth and her siblings were no doubt formulating battle strategies.

Percy ran off to check on Grover who had been frantically trying to convince the Council of Cloven Elders to believe that Pan had really passed on and bequeathed his spirit to all the nymphs and satyrs of the world. Needless to say, it wasn't going well.

Ali stood a bit awkwardly among the bustle of the campers. Her swords were freshly sharpened; her knife never really needed to be, part of its magic no doubt; and her quiver was still full.

Suddenly, Annabeth appeared out of nowhere. "We need to talk."

Ali almost jumped out of her skin. "Okay?"

Annabeth led her aside, out of earshot of the other campers. She sighed. "I know about you and Percy."

Ali nodded. "I sort of figured." She chewed her lip nervously. "What gave it away?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes annoyedly. "A lot of things, but... I overheard you two talking after the arena, when you got stabbed."

Ali looked at the ground. "We thought you were asleep."

Annabeth scoffed. "Ever since I got that quest, sleep has been a stranger."

"I know the feeling." Ali muttered.

Annabeth took a deep calming breath. "How did it even happen? You and Percy?"

Ali shrugged. "To be honest, I don't really know. I didn't even realize how I felt about him until he disappeared. I never expected him to feel the same way."

Annabeth let out a mocking, almost angry, laugh.

"What?" Ali urged.

"Nothing." Annabeth's voice was hard and bitter now. "Just you having feelings. I didn't think it was possible."

Ali clenched her fists and drew in a long breath to keep herself from blowing up at Annabeth. "Look. I never meant for this to happen. I tried to stay out of your way, but you didn't make a move." She pointed accusingly at Annabeth's chest. "When he got back, one thing led to another and suddenly the truth was out. I didn't want this. I'm terrified that this will get him killed, but he chose this. He chose me. If you really wanted him, you should've fought for him." She turned on her heel and stalked away through the crowd. 

Annabeth opened her mouth to make a comeback, but she was cut off by the crack of stone. Zeus' Fist exploded in a shower of pebbles and a Lastrygonian giant emerged from the Labyrinth.

A/N
Sorry, shorter chapter today. 😔
I hope you enjoyed it though.
We've almost reached 800 reads! Thank you all for the support.
Quick shoutout to average_idiot567 for all the votes and amazing comments. I love you girl. Thank you SO much.
See you all in a bit,
-Cheshire