Epilogue

Ali hesitated at the edge of the beach. Percy waited for her at the end of the dock, his legs dangling in the water. She took a deep breath and walked across the sand and down the dock.  She paused directly behind him. "Hey."

Percy turned and looked up at her. "Hey." He patted the spot next to him, urging her to sit.

Sighing, she took a seat beside him, letting her bare feet hang in the cool water. Her shorts left most of her legs exposed, displaying the ugly  spiral scar on her right leg.

"So..." Percy stared at the gentle waves lapping against their legs. "you're wearing your hair down."

She chuckled as she brushed her long black hair behind her ear. The thick raven strands cascaded almost down to her waist.

Percy smiled at her embarrassment. "What's up? Why'd you want to talk to me?"

She took a long breath. "I wanted to say goodbye."

He met her gaze. "What? No." He shook his head. "You can't leave again."

She felt tears welling in her eyes. "I have to. My... mother gave me a quest."

"I'll come with you." Percy offered.

Ali shook her head. "No. I have to do this on my own." She stared meaningfully into his green eyes.

He sighed and nodded. "I just... don't want you to get hurt."

Ali grabbed his hand. "I promise you, I can take care of myself."

He looked away.

She watched him as he kicked the water. "You're worried I'm gonna betray you again."

His head snapped up. "No, I just..."

"I swear on the River Styx," she grabbed his shoulder. "never again."

He locked eyes with her. "You're really leaving."

He didn't phrase it as a question, but Ali nodded anyway. "We'll See each other again."

Percy smiled. "I know."

They both stood.

"If you ever need me, tell the stars." She nodded towards the sky. "I'll find you." She hugged him tightly. "I'll miss you, Water Boy."

Percy leaned into the embrace. "I'll miss you too, Ali."