13.

Goshiki fumbled with the edge of his jacket as he took small steps to get close to Ushijima who was stretching in preparation of their final match

Goshiki fumbled with the edge of his jacket as he took small steps to get close to Ushijima who was stretching in preparation of their final match. Ushijima looked up to the younger still continuing to stretch his legs from a sitting down position. “I’m sorry.” The younger boy managed to mumble before crouching down beside his teammate and giving him a peck on the cheek. It was as if time had stopped as the others around them froze watching how the captain would react.

Goshiki was quick to stand up bowing his head multiple times in an apologetic manner. Ushijima on the other hand was still confused as to why the younger had given him a kiss on the cheek. He touched his cheek wiping it slightly and looked up to Goshiki waiting for an explanation. “Akari said if I didn’t give you a kiss on her behalf, she would steal all my fan posters.” The boy stuttered out avoiding eye contact with Ushijima. “It is okay Goshiki-kun.” He told the younger boy patting his shoulder. It was a shame Akari wasn’t there to see that he could have made her jealous.

Akari sighed looking at the clock upside down due to the way she lay on her sofa. “When is she going to get here.” She complained to her father who answered the same reply for the past hour, ‘soon.’ Akari had to stay home so she could meet her dads new girlfriend seeing as though it was the only day the both of them were free. Akari had no feelings of hate towards this woman she had nothing wrong she simply didn’t appreciate the fact that she was not able to support her friends during their finals.

A knock was heard and Akari’s father was more nervous than his girlfriend and daughter, he just wanted everything to work out. Her dads new girlfriend entered the house with a bright smile, she had blond shoulder length hair was which was different to her mothers grey hair. This woman had aged beautifully seeing as though she was the same age as Akari’s father and Akari only prayed she would age like that. Akari gave her usual bright smile to her father’s girlfriend which seemed to calm down her nerves and the two were able to get along well.

Akari’s father scoffed at the two girls  ignored him and continued to bond. Every time he tried to get involved the girls were fast in cutting him off and continuing their conversation. “Akari get the door please.” He asked his daughter who was too busy conversing with his girlfriend to hear.

The older man sighed walking to the door grumbling as he did so. He opened the door seeing a boy with the same school logo as his daughter, having to look up to see the boys face. “I’m looking for Akari-chan.” Ushijima informed the man with his usual stoic face. Akari’s father nodded and went to get her as Ushijima waited in the hallway.

Ushijima had asked Goshiki if he could follow the younger home and meet Akari. They had lost and Ushijima was feeling sad even when he had not showed it, He had congratulated his opponents with his same stoic face and proceeded to give advice to the second and third years after their punishment for losing. He didn’t know what to do he had just expected going to nationals the thoughts of not going in his final year made him sick so he went to see Akari.

Akari walked to the door rather confused as what her father had blabbered about but began to understand why her father was blabbering when she got to the door. To put it simply Ushijima was intimidating and her father on the other hand was shy and timid which resulted in his ex-wife courting him just like Akari was doing to Ushijima. “Ushi hey. How was the match, sorry I couldn’t make it.” She apologised to the elder who nodded. “We lost. So I would appreciate if you could cheer me up with one of your cheesy lines.” He requested making Akari let out a laugh.

“It doesn’t matter if you lost, you will always be a winner In my heart.” She cringed as she placed a hand on her heart. For the first time she was able to see Ushijima react, the elder opened his mouth slightly letting out a soft yet deep chuckle. This caused Akari to be her dramatic self and hold on to the wall acting as if she couldn’t breathe.

“Akari who is this?” her father asked wearily watching the tall man beside his daughter. “I am Ushijima wakatoshi the boy your daughter has a interest in.” He informed the rather shy man making Akari choke on her air at what Ushijima had said. “We need to go.” She let out a nervous laugh and attempted to push Ushijima out the door. When she failed, she pinched his nipple gesturing him to leave.

Akari glared at Ushijima outside, the older confused as he did not understand what he had done wrong. “I’m going to make sure Goshiki is okay just because I’m such a good mum.” She joked as she pushed opened the gate to her friends house.

She was worried about her younger friend who had been so determined to win. “It will be good practice for when we have children together.” Ushijima spoke in a stoic manner but the small teasing smile on his lips said otherwise. He gave her a small wave and began to walk away leaving the flustered girl who had began to squeal. Teasing Akari was just as fun as volleyball. 

The following day the boys had finished practice early and decided to relax in the clubroom inviting Akari to join seeing as though practices weren’t as long as they previously were due to losing their chance to go to nationals. Akari knocked on the door waiting for them to let her not wanting to walk in while the boys were still to change though she wouldn’t mind seeing Ushijima shirtless. Ushijima sat on one of the chairs looking through a sports magazine not paying attention to the girl who had just walked in.

Akari huffed as she remembered how the boy had teased her yesterday whilst looking as plain as a rock. She made her way to the boy pushing herself slightly to sit on the table which was in front of him. She waited for the boy to look up at her which he did after reading the page he was on.

“You said we are going to have babies together so when shall we start making them.” She sent the boy a wink as she ruffled her hair. The boys looked between the girl and Ushijima confused as to what had happened without their presence. “I do not recall saying such a thing.” He managed to stop the smirk which were to adorn his usual monotone face when he saw Akari gasp in shock at his lies.

“I knew you were lying.” Goshiki scoffed from the side making the girl hit the table with her fist. “I’m not lying, and this is not over,” she poked Ushijima shoulder with her finger before jumping off the table angrily. She sat beside Goshiki leaning her head on his shoulder a frown on her lips as she crossed her arms.