1. Home, Sweet Home

17 April, 1988

They were all just relaxing on the couch, broad smiles on all of their faces and jokes leaving their lips. Her arms looped around each of her brothers, pulling them close to her. Mum and Dad stood in front of their kids and snapped a quick photo. Once the photo was taken, Anders pushed Marlene off with a laugh and ran away.

"You little bastard!" The only sister yelled as she chased her stupid little brother, leaving her twin brother on the couch to watch. Anders let out a scream and jumped over the armchair, trying to get away. Marlene followed right after him. With her long legs, she caught up quickly to jump on Anders, bringing him to the ground. "Got you!"

"Don't be so mean to mean! I'm just a little guy! Would you want to hurt a little guy?" Anders whined as they stood up.

"If the little guy is you, then yes," she laughed. Anders snorted and swiped at her. Marlene hit him in the back of the head.

"Why can't we have one nice moment without violence?" Mum sighed. Dad put his arm around her. This time, it was Pelle's turn to laugh.

"Violence surrounds us, Mum."

"And how! Now, lets hustle, Albert and Herbert is about to start!" Marlene yelled as she jumped on the couch, stretching her legs over Pelle's. He smiled and put his hand on her legs while she fucked about with the converter. Finally, Marlene got the NRK on and they could all peacefully watch their programme in peace.

Anders found himself on the loveseat, and Dad in his armchair. Mum, of course, was unable to sit down. It always made Marlene feel horrible that she was sitting with the boys instead of helping her mum. But it was just the way Mrs. Forsberg was. She could never sit down and searched for things to do always. The house was beautiful, all of her food was top tier, everything she did was to absolute perfection. But Marlene felt the need to pitch in.

Soon enough, their programme ended and the boys began watching MTV. Marlene just rolled her eyes and got off the couch. She enjoyed actual rock and roll. Not whatever Motley Crue or Skid Row was trying to pull off, and no wise man would ever ask Marlene about shit like Kiss or Metallica. She liked her Beatles, her Stones, her Grateful Dead.

"Mama, sit. I've got to talk to you about something," Marlene said as she came into the kitchen. Her mother looked up from the stove top she was scrubbing. Her thin, painted red lips stretched into a smile as she removed her yellow marigolds.

Mum came over and sat across from her daughter, the spiting image of her. The same deep blue eyes, the same nearly platinum blonde hair, that Pelle did not share. His hair was golden, while Marlene's hair was nearly white. Her mum asked calmly, "What's on your mind, Lovey?"

"Alright. Mama." Marlene paused. It was a big deal and she didn't want her Mum to blow her cap. Mum just smiled, waiting patiently for Marlene to continue. "Well, you know how I applied to the University of Oslo?"

"Oh, kjære. Did you not get in? I'm sorry," her mum cooed sympathetically. The irony was unbelievable.

Marlene laughed, "No, Mama. I got in."

The older woman went silent. Her face drew serious. Marlene's smile slipped as well, heart sinking with it. It had been her dream forever to study somewhere other than home, get her PhD in Physics, become a professor. Her mum knew that; her entire family did. It was just a shock, wanting to move somewhere else.

"That's..." her sentence trailed off. But, suddenly, the glazed over look in her eye disappeared. Mum got her smile back, infecting Marlene with her own smile. "That's amazing, kjære. I'm proud of you. Physics, yes?"