4. I Wanna Rock

16th August, 1988

The party of Marlene's life was in full swing by 9. It started around 7, just after Marlene had served dinner for everyone and Jan and Jorn had arrived. They happily finished off the rest of the pasta - happy to have a free, hot meal. Who doesn't nip at the chance for free food?

Oystein and Marlene didn't say anything to each other all dinner. They stole glances and played Footsies under the table, but that was the extent. Nobody probably noticed their gazes being locked on each other, except for Pelle. He kept flip flopping between being happy and shutting down. Marlene reckoned he was torn between being Pelle and being Dead.

The five lads and one lady began drinking right after dinner. Marlene stayed by Even's side, trying her best to get him out of his shell, but he seemed pretty cemented. He didn't like anything about black metal - Marlene didn't either. The difference was that Marlene was open to new things but Even just wasn't. It slightly annoyed her, but she tried her best to get him comfortable around her brother and his band mates.

People began arriving at about 8. The loud music began just as the sun descended the horizon and the sky got a purple hue to it. The music could be as noisy and rambunctious as they wanted; they were in the middle of the woods, nobody could hear them.

"Where's Pelle?" Marlene asked Jorn, noticing her brother and the cute guitarist had vanished into thin air. Jorn just smiled and scratched his eyebrow, using the same hand that was holding a bottle of beer.

"They're doing something 'evil'," Jorn chuckled. Marlene's eyes widened, making Jorn outright laugh. "No cats are involved, Lena. I promise."

That's the thing. While Pelle reserved all rights to calling her Marls, the other boys picked up Lena. Guess Lene just didn't cut it for them.

Jorn and Marlene stood by the house, chatting up a storm. He had a motormouth and Marlene could fire off a thousand comments a minute. They were perfect. The pair were also incredibly fast talkers, which Marlene appreciated. She often found herself getting bored when other people would speak, because everyone speaks so goddamn slow.

"Marls! What do you think?!" Pelle yelled, emerging from the house, behind Oystein. Marlene smiled when she saw the two boys with totally white faces but black paint around their eyes and on Oystein's lips. They came over to Jorn and Marlene.

"You look rockin', Pelle," Marlene grinned. Pelle smacked her. "Hey! Dick!"

"Don't make me smile."

"Fine, fuck you, be depressed. See if I give a fuck," Marlene replied sarcastically, making Jorn giggle. Oystein, in the same makeup, cracked a smile at her words. Marlene caught his eyes and smiled right back. Pelle rolled his eyes.

"Christ. C'mon, Marls, I need a beer." Pelle put his arm around his sister and she held onto his hand. They spun around and went over to the mini-fridge that was brought outside. Marlene opened it, bent down and grabbed a Heineken for her and one for her brother. Pelle immediately pulled her up. Before she could even ask what the rush was, he snapped, "There are boys here!"

"In case it's escaped you, you're a boy, and I'm not 15."

"I'm different. I don't want these mortals staring at my baby sister."

Marlene whacked him and smacked the bottle into his palm. "I'm 13 minutes younger. Fuck you." Pelle chuckled while looking down. Marlene caught a whiff of him. She groaned, "Fuck, Pelle, do you ever shower?"

"Not often," he smiled. Marlene faked a gag which made Pelle actually smile. Marlene smiled and cracked her beer. "You sure you want to be here? It's gonna get wild."