2. Denim and Leather

August 2nd, 1988

The twins had been on Norwegian soil for two days now and without each other for two days. Pelle was picked up by a bunch of guys in a black panel van while Marlene found her pen pal. The university set up a programme to connect international students with pre-existing residents, so the internationals wouldn't get oh too very lost.

Her pen pal was a boy by the name of Even Bech-Næsheim. He was very sweet in the letters they exchanged, but even sweeter in real life. Their first order of business was Even taking Marlene to a cafe for a sandwich and a hot drink (Even got tea, Marlene got black coffee). They chatted relentlessly over their studies, their lives, their families and all that. So much that their conversation didn't just stop at dinner. Marlene invited Even over to her flat to help her unpack and all that. Sweetly enough, Even did no more than help her unpack and chat a bit more on her couch with her. Then he left for the night.

Marlene didn't enjoy her first night. She knew Pelle was just a 30 odd minute drive from her, but she missed his presence in the other room. If no one cared on a particular night, the twins would even talk through the walls. But the twins were separated for the first time in over a year.

The next day, Marlene rang Even to muck about around Oslo for the day. He more than agreed; taking her to lunch a kebab place, taking her to the Fram then just walking with her downtown. They checked out record shops (finding out their music tastes almost perfectly aligned (Even enjoyed a good amount of disco, which wasn't really Marlene's bag)), bakeries, clothing shops. It was a nice day and they spent most of it outside or in shops.

But the current day, Marlene didn't feel like doing much other than stay in her flat and break it in a bit. Well, that was until the post was delivered. She got a letter from Pelle, giving her his address and the phone number of the house.

For about an hour, the silly girl debated on calling first or just going over. Eventually, she just settled on going over. She slapped her prized Jack Daniel's shirt on and a black skirt. God knew Marlene wasn't the girl to walk around, constantly wearing black, but that was just the outfit of the day. Plus, Marlene knew Pelle loved that shirt (because the sod got it for her, he loved seeing her use things he got her - made him feel useful) and the skirt was to make a good first impression on his roommates. Plus it had pockets! She didn't want to look like she was off to a job interview, but she didn't want to look too shlubby.

After the ordeal of getting dressed, Marlene rethought ringing them. Oh fuck sake. She left the flat and went to the car park of her building. She'd bought the car a while ago with money she'd saved from her various jobs back at home. Mum and Dad had just sent it over. It was a sweet little Volkswagen Golf - silver, of course.

The ride was spent listening to a Bowie tape (Diamond Dogs - the best Bowie album). Marlene stopped at the off-license around the corner of her flat and bough a bottle of Jack Daniels. She tried her bloody best to follow the massive map laid beside her, yet Marlene still got lost. Jesus, Marlene thought, I'd give anything for Even to be here.

Finally, there it was. A decently sized, red cottage type deal. Marlene pulled up and seriously wondered if she got the right house. This was supposed to house heavy metal musicians? Not a way in high fucking Hell.

But there was a way.

Just as Marlene nearly backed out, there was Pelle, coming out of the forest. He spotted her silver Golf and stopped dead in his tracks. He tilted his head to the side, expression stony. Marlene gasped and got out of the car. Pelle smiled broadly and ran over to Marlene. She closed her car door just in time to get taken down by her brother.

"You fucking crackpot! It's been two days! Get off!" Marlene yelled in protest of her twin body-slamming her into a bunch of dirty forest leaves.

"Longest two days of my life," Pelle chuckled. Marlene smiled. Pelle lifted himself a little to look down at his twin. He had a broad smile on his face but his breath smelt like something had died in his mouth. Marlene maintained her smile while she rolled her eyes and pushed him off. "Well, you're a bitch. Thought you'd be happier to see me."