6. Nothin' But A Good Time

5th September, 1988

Pelle and Marlene sat in the park for nearly an hour without speaking to each other. Dinner had finished, so Marlene dropped Dad and Mum off at their hotel. Before going back to the house, Pelle tried to jump out of the car which prompted them to stop and just sit in the park. The dinner hadn't been bad for Marlene, but Pelle was not having any of it.

If she had to choose a word; drained. Without Pelle to bounce conversation off of, Marlene had to converse with her parents head on. By the Jesus, that was a tiring affair. Mum was a major nitpicker, and Dad just always tried to fill silences.

"I wonder where Anders is," Pelle whispered, his voice hoarse and coarse. Marlene turned her head slowly to look at her twin, eyes ripped away from the starry night sky above them. Pelle was staring at her. Normal people would be unnerved by Pelle's wide eyed stare, but Marlene was unmoved.

"Staying with the grandparents. I asked on the car ride over." With that, Marlene turned her head back up to gaze at the infinite abyss of space. Then a star, running across the darkness caught Marlene's eye. She smiled and nudged her brother, pointing to the star. "Make a wish, Pelle."

"I wish to see the year 2000."

"You can't say it out loud or it won't come true," Marlene laughed. Pelle smiled and the twins looked at each other, the same tired eyes and weak smiles.

"That's the point."

Marlene snorted and shoved him. Pelle chuckled and put his arm around his sister. She leaned into him, surprisingly warm and comfortable. Pelle was known for being one cold motherfucker, but temperature wise, the man was usually running on hot.

They watched the stars appear for another few minutes before they left their comfortable bench. Returning to the car and starting it, Marlene threw a random tape from the backseat into her tape-deck. Motley Crue began blaring out of the speakers, making Marlene's face go bright red. Pelle turned to her, broad, surprised smile on his face.

"I thought you didn't like metal?"

"Shove it. Glam metal doesn't count." Marlene turned up the volume, driving off at he same time.

Pelle would never admit it, but he liked Motley Crue. He and Marlene bonded over it when they were younger, then Marlene started hating metal. She thought it was why Pelle got so dark so quickly. Later, she realized you can't blame music for the blades that roamed her brother's skin every night. Marlene only came to that conclusion because she, herself, had a myriad of scars on her thighs. The old ones were silver now, the newer ones still an angry red (purple in a really hot shower).

No talking took place, except for insults, for the car ride back. The twins were too busy singing their lungs out. Pelle couldn't actually sing, he just knew how to make his voice all scratchy. Marlene found it fucking hilarious.

Marlene was so tired she felt like she was nodding out behind the wheel. By the time they reached the house, both twins were walking like corpses to the house, the last of their energy spent in the car. Marlene was probably feeling as tired as when she was writing her final AP exams. Now that was fucking exhausting.

The elder twin opened the front door and they walked in. Pelle locked it behind him. Marlene kissed his cheek before he retreated up the stairs, no doubt to sleep for 15 hours. Oystein was such a bitch when Pelle didn't feel like rehearsing. Marlene always defended her brother, but sometimes Oystein was right. So she'd go to his room and sit with him till he felt like getting up. It was like Pelle took his energy and will to live from Marlene.

"Lena?" Oystein's soft voice called out. A soft smile appeared on Marlene's face as she walked to up the stairs and to Oystein's bedroom.

Oystein was sat up, bedsheets around his waist and his chest bare. He looked like he was just about to drift off into sleep before he heard the twins push through the door. He smiled at her and Marlene smiled back, flopping on the bed beside him. Oystein rubbed her back lightly.