Chapter 6

Saturday, May 6, 2000

The morning came and went without a single sign of Theo. At first, Hermione didn't mind much, figuring Theo still needed some space to deal with whatever was going on. But when the sun began to set and he was still nowhere to be found, she started worrying. It wasn't like him to just up and disappear without warning.

She was surprised to find Tiberius at the dinner table, in his rightful spot at the head, when she made her way down soon after.

"Tiberius," she greeted, taking her seat next to him and eying the empty seat across from her where Theo should have been.

As if her thoughts had summoned him, he hurried through the door behind her and collapsed into his seat without sparing her a second glance. "Sorry father," he said quietly, bowing his head to shovel food into his mouth.

"Relax," Tiberius chuckled, beginning to cut into his chicken. "This is our first meal together in a week and you're rushing as if you have anywhere better to be than here with your family."

Theo gulped and shifted in his seat. "Sorry," he repeated, slowing his motions but still keeping his gaze focused on the plate in front of him. Hermione frowned.

The rest of the meal progressed similarly. Theo didn't look up at her once and Tiberius monopolized the conversation by droning on and on about useless subjects, in Hermione's opinion. Eventually, she had enough and slammed her fork down onto her plate, the clanging silverware echoing through the dining room.

"I can't do this," she scoffed and made to stand, almost tripping over her chair as it caught on the rug below with the speed she kicked it out.

"What are you talking about?" Tiberius asked, furrowing his brow. Theo was looking at her now.

"Last night I got a bomb of information thrown on me that you both have had no trouble keeping from me for weeks," she seethed, her hands in tight fists at her sides. "Information about some ritual that happens next month that Theo promised me he would tell me about today, but he's been MIA and won't even look at me. To top it all off, you're sitting here, talking like you haven't been avoiding me for an entire week! I'm not doing this. And if you won't tell me I'll go find someone that will."

Her toes had just brushed the entrance to the hallway when she heard Tiberius sigh and beckon her to return. She froze, willing her temper to recede, as silently counted to three. Hermione rejoined them at the table and looked expectantly between the two of them.

Tiberius sighed again before beginning. "This conversation is not an easy one to have. In a normal situation, you would have grown up your whole life knowing what Litha is and what to expect."

Hermione nodded and informed him of what she had learned the night prior. When she finished, Tiberius seemed strained. His eyes did not leave hers.

"Is that all you were able to discuss last night?" He asked.

"Well, yes, Theo promised the rest today," she shot him another pointed look, to which he turned his attention to the table in front of him.

"I see," Tiberius murmured, sitting back in his chair and folding his hands in his lap, tapping his pointer fingers together in thought.

Hermione shifted impatiently in her chair and tugged at the hem of her shirt.

"Litha is very important to our community. I'm glad that Theo and his friends were able to tell you a little about the parts of the celebration they remember. The entire community always comes together on Litha to celebrate, so people of all ages are there. The most important part of the ceremony, however, occurs the summer you turn twenty. You and your peers will climb to the highest part of the mountain there where it is shielded from the rest of us, both the younger children that are not yet the right age, and the older adults that have already paired off and no longer must take part."