Chapter 7

Thursday, May 18, 2000

The owl from Daphne came early in the week and Hermione had wasted no time at all responding in the affirmative to a much-needed girl's day. She was looking forward to spending some time out of the Manor.

She Floo'd exactly at 1 pm to the Greengrass estate and was greeted by Daphne as soon as she walked out of the fireplace, casting a quick Scourgify over herself to get rid of the ash clinging to her.

"Hello, Hermione," Daphne greeted with a broad smile and a peck to the cheek. She gave her an appraising once-over and nodded her approval. "That color looks brilliant on you."

Pink graced her cheeks and she glanced down at her dress, smoothing it down with her palms. She had chosen a light blue sleeveless dress and paired it with a light cardigan and her favorite kitten heels. Daphne was clothed similarly in a short-sleeved lilac dress and she looked perfect. Her hair was pressed straight, not a strand out of place.

She was barely able to share her thanks before Daphne looked towards the Floo. "Right, we'll just wait here for Pansy and then we'll be all set!"

Hermione jolted. "Pansy?"

Daphne turned back to face her, grimacing slightly. "I know, I know, I just think it'll all be good-"

Hermione sighed and clasped her hands in front of her. "Fine. I'll wait until she arrives. I have something to say to both of you anyway." Daphne frowned.

Just after, the fireplace lit green again as a prim and polished Pansy ducked out of it. Pansy and Daphne greeted each other with kisses to the cheeks and Pansy bowed her head slightly in greeting to Hermione. Hermione returned the nod and took a deep breath before she spoke.

"I get the two of you are close with Malfoy, certainly much closer than either of you are with me. That being said, if we have any chance of being friends, you need to realize that I can't just erase all of the feelings that arose from the way you all acted towards me during Snake Night and at Hogwarts. I know I'm the outsider here. I'm trying, but if either of you tries to make me feel crazy again Theo's just going to have to see you when I'm not around."

To Hermione's bewilderment, Pansy grinned. "Sounds good, Golden Girl. Are you ready to go, or is there more you would like to talk about before we get to have fun?"

"Um, no, that's all."

Daphne smiled and reached for Hermione. "We hear you," they both exchanged a quick look, "and we're sorry. It's an adjustment for everyone but I promise we're trying too."

Hermione shrugged and smiled at them. "We all agreed on a fresh start. No need to keep apologizing, just respect my boundaries."

When they both nodded, Hermione allowed them to pull her towards the Floo. "Let's go."

The three stepped into the Floo, calling out the Leaky Cauldron in succession.

Hermione smiled as she stepped out into Diagon Alley and followed Pansy and Daphne to their next destination. It still surprised her how little it had changed from the place that introduced her to the wizarding world. Diagon Alley did not emerge from the war unscathed, but it was repaired quickly due to the desire shared by many to move on quickly from it.

The rubble and signs of destruction were long gone, but on days when no one is outside the heavy weight of death and terror that comes with living in a war-torn area seems to seep back in and infect everything down the cobblestones that the street is composed of. Shop windows seem dingier, the air thicker, and people walk quicker to spend less time feeling so exposed.