Chapter 10

June 20, 2000- After Sunset

Silence.

The valley was quieter than Madam Pince kept her library.

One by one, each head of house picked up a torch and held it to the bonfire, which had faded back to an icy blue color. Those no longer of age were forced to leave the grounds, and cracks echoed all around them as house elves appeared to take the ones too young to apparate back home.

Ginny hugged her tight, an unspoken "good luck" in her expression before she heads over to bid Ron good luck as well. She embraced him tightly in a rare moment of affection between the two siblings and spun on her heel; the only underage Weasley family member disapparated from the valley.

Hermione held Ron's gaze for as long as possible, feeling her heart pound against her ribcage. It's happening. This is it.

"Come on, Mia," Theo whispered as he tugged her wrist. It felt as though he had just shouted. She jumped, whipping around to face him, and felt herself relax at the small, reassuring smile on his face. She took his arm and they both followed Tiberius as he held their torch out in front of them.

The two walked side by side as the group began the trek up the mountain. It got darker by the minute as the sky slowly transitioned from its cotton candy coloring to deep violet. The only sounds were the leaves rustling in the cool breeze and the soft footfalls of the Sacred Twenty Eight. Soon, the tree canopy cut off their view, making the path much more ominous to travel.

Hermione focused on trying to calm her racing heart, staring a hole into Tiberius' back as he lead them through the much less traveled path that led to their family entrance. Branches and leaves crunched beneath their feet as they made their way down the path until they came to a stop at the mountain wall.

Tiberius turned to look expectantly at Theo, who quickly stepped forward and produced his wand from his pocket. After drawing the Nott crest on the mountainside, he sliced his father's palm before slicing his own and offering to do the same for Hermione. She thrust her palm out immediately, not allowing even a wince to escape her as her skin ripped apart, and all three placed their hands onto the cool slab.

Like before, their blood seeped into their family crest and the golden color shifted into maroon. The energy shifted as the land recognized them and welcomed them in. As soon as they stepped under the threshold of the mountain, Hermione felt a gush of relaxation flood over her.

Her head shot down to the center of her chest as she felt her magical core almost... unwind? Of course, she couldn't see anything but the feeling was unsettling. A quick glance to her right proved Theo felt the same as he rubbed roughly over his heart with a frown on his face.

Tiberius watched them with a nostalgic sort of smile. "Don't worry, that feeling will pass."

"What is it?" Hermione croaked before clearing her throat, feeling odd about hearing their voices all of the sudden.

Tiberius placed both of his hands on both of their shoulders, meeting both of their worried eyes with a reassuring look. "The old magic is just interacting with your magic. You have nothing to fear, you're safe here. You're home."

Hermione grabbed her sapphire necklace with her dry hand, her other hand streaked with blood that now steadily dropped into the earth beneath them. The blood from her and Theo's hands was absorbed almost instantaneously as it collided with the ground.

Tiberius straightened and nudged them in the direction of their names as she noticed his hand had somehow already sealed itself up without a trace. In tandem, Hermione and Theo slapped their hands to the slab as they had before, watching as their blood seeped into their carved names, and soon heard the telltale sound of stone moving across stone.