Chapter 20

As soon as she was able, Hermione leapt from her seat. She tore through the waterfall, down the passage, and out of the mountain, ignoring any lingering calls of her name or effort to get her attention.

She had to get out of there, away from everyone, before she had a meltdown in front of them. It was too much. Everything was too much.

Distantly, she felt Draco's worried presence in the back of her mind, searching for her, but she didn't care. Her breaths came in quick pants and she jogged down the pathway, the crunching of twigs and dead leaves under her soles pulling her back out of her mind.

All she could think of was Harry.

Her chest seized again as she sucked in a strangled breath and she hurried faster, barreling through the narrow pathway and hissing at the sting of branches and thorns catching on her forearms. Her feet slid down the sharp angle the passage took when it opened up, and little rocks tumbled down the hill towards the valley.

Not long later, she threw herself into an apparition and dry heaved as she landed in her garden. Hermione's knees hit the earth and she braced herself helplessly as she dry-heaved again, and again, and again, barely registering the comforting hand rubbing circles between her shoulder blades.

Hushed voices, much too quiet for Hermione to register, surrounded her. She slammed her eyes shut as her head spun, sucking in greedy breaths in an attempt to calm herself.

"It's okay, there you are. I'm here, love, just keep breathing."

Slowly, her heart slowed and the tension melted from her muscles. The steady, grounding touch on her spine was soothing.

"Draco, darling, bring her inside and I'll start up some tea," Narcissa said from behind them before walking away and giving them privacy.

Hermione looked up at him. "Why is your mother here?"

Draco studied her carefully, a crease between his eyebrows betraying his concern. He gently helped her to her feet and began leading her inside with one arm wrapped firmly around her waist. "She came straight over after apparating Father home. He would have come too if he was allowed. She wanted to be here for you if you needed it."

Hermione hummed thoughtfully, tucking herself into his side and sighing as his familiar scent washed over her. It felt nice to be cared for, even if she was a little embarrassed about her outburst.

"I'm sorry about that," she said quietly and pressed a quick kiss to his jaw. "I don't know what came over me."

He pulled them to a stop and wrapped his arms around her tightly before kissing the top of her head. With his lips still pressed to her curls, he said, "You never have to apologize to me. I understand what it's like to feel like the world is crashing down around you."

She nodded into his chest, pressing another kiss over his heart. "It's just hard... feeling so out of control in my own skin. Thank you for understanding."

Peering up at him, she found herself beaming at his lopsided smirk. Rising to her tiptoes, she stole a quick peck from his lips, and together they walked inside.

Narcissa was already busying herself preparing their tea in the sitting room. She refrained from asking if she was okay, which Hermione appreciated, but didn't seem to be able to withhold the piercing gaze that swept over her quickly.

"This is a beautiful home," Narcissa said softly, handing Hermione a teacup.

"Thank you," Hermione nearly whispered, tucking herself into Draco's side on the couch and sipping from the cup. It was herbal, flowery scented. She sighed in appreciation.