four-things change

Present Day
It had been about six years since Emily and JJ revealed their feelings for each other and almost four years since JJ divorced Will and started a relationship with Emily. JJ and Emily had bought a house and moved in together with JJ's son Henry. As far as the team knows, JJ and Will aren't married and Emily and JJ are just best friends. It had occurred weekly that every Monday morning Emily would get out of bed before everyone else and she would make breakfast for everyone.
Monday, May 7
Emily rolled out of bed in her pajamas and gently moved JJ off her chest she then headed down stairs to begin making breakfast. She started by opening the fridge and other cabinets to collect all the ingredients to make pancakes for Henry. About twenty minutes passed and the pancakes were done. Emily had separated two large pancakes on different plates topped with a smiley face made out of whipped cream.
"Henry! Come downstairs for breakfast!" Emily yelled softly. The young boy came running down stairs and sat right at the kitchen island.
"What did you make mama?" Henry asked
"Pancakes" Emily said in a childish tone
"Yummy" Henry replied in his almost four year old tone. JJ came down the stairs in a gray pencil skirt, a dark blue top and a matching gray blazer. She got downstairs and walked up behind Emily giving her a hug and a soft kiss on the cheek.
"Morning Em" JJ said
"Hey love" Emily responded
"Hen, what did Mama make you?" JJ asked
"Pancakes" Henry replied
"Yum... oh Emily it's seven fifty five, you need to go get ready." JJ explained
"You're right, I'll go change now" Emily responded then rushed upstairs to change. About five minutes passed and Emily came rushing downstairs in a red tank top and suit pants while holding her matching suit jacket. She quickly walked to the fridge and grabbed Henry's lunch box for daycare and put it in his backpack. Emily then stood at the counter holding a cup of coffee as JJ had her arms around Emily's neck just staring into Emily's beautiful brown eyes.
"So Henry, who is picking you up from school today?" JJ asked
"Grandma!" Henry replied happily
"Good" JJ said
"Come on Henry, time to go to the bus stop" Emily exclaimed.' JJ kissed Emily then Emily got Henry's backpack. Henry took Emily's hand and they were out the door leaving JJ with a happy look on her face staring at her perfect life.
After about ten minutes Emily walked back in the front door and walked over to JJ who put her arms back around Emily's neck. Emily drank her coffee and just stared into JJ's beautiful eyes.
"You're so good with him" JJ said
"I love that little squirt" Emily responded.
"I was thinking, what if we told the team, I mean it's been years now and I love you so much, I don't want to hide that" JJ explained as Emily caressed her cheek then pushed a loose piece of hair behind her ear.
"I know, and I love you you too, you know I do, I just don't know how they will take it, I'm sure they will be fine but we need to take baby steps, maybe one at a time" Emily suggested
"I like that idea... damn we need to go" JJ said as she kissed Emily. Emily poured her and JJ's coffee into two separate to-go mugs and they were off. They got into Emily's SUV and of course Emily drove while JJ was in the passenger seat.
"Em?" JJ asked
"What love?" Emily responded
"When did you know you had feelings for me?" JJ asked
"When I was you know "Dead" I had to go off the grid and those months were the hardest months of my life. It wasn't so much as missing the team as it was missing you. I never imagined myself falling for a woman, nevertheless my best friend, but I did and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me" Emily explained and JJ held her free hand.
"How about you? When did you know you had feelings for me?" Emily added
"You're second month at BAU, whenever I'd be near you I'd develop butterflies in my stomach, I thought I was just nervous, but that wasn't the case at all. From the way you dressed, to the way you talk and you move, I couldn't resist, I fell in love with someone while I was married. I couldn't help myself. I just did, I never imagined that I would but I did" JJ said. For a half of a second they looked at each other with love and you could just tell they were meant to be. Emily pulled the car into the BAU parking and they just sat there for a second knowing that as soon as they get into the FBI building they will have to hide their personal lives.
"So boss lady, you ready to go in?" JJ asked
"I guess so, running a unit isn't all that fun" Emily replied sarcastically
"Oh please you love it" JJ said as they exited the car
"Almost as much as I love you" Emily said softly then the two walked into the building, they got in the empty elevator and as soon as the door shut they held hands.
"I love you too" JJ responded
"I know, and I need to tell you something before I tell the rest of the team" Emily said truthfully
"What is it" JJ asked with a worried look on her face
"Well you obviously remember how I am filling Hotch's position until he gets cleared. Well now my position is going to become permanent. Mr. Scratch went to Jacks school, he waited there for an hour just waiting, Hotch is going into witness protection" Emily explained as she put her hand on
JJ's arm.
"So we will never be able to talk to Hotch ever again?" JJ asked
"I'm sorry love, but it's for the best, he is going to be safe" Emily
"Now-" JJ started
"Now I need to break this news to the team and they aren't going to take it nicely," Emily added. The elevator bell rang and they stepped away from each other. Penelope was outside of the door waiting for them.
"Morning Penelope, get everyone in the conference room, including yourself" Emily said as she walked by
"Of course" Garcia replied then did what she was told. About five minutes passed and everyone but JJ was in the conference room and Emily walked in.
"Prentiss what's up? Do we have a case?" Derek Morgan asked
"No, I am about to tell you something and you aren't going to like it. Hotch isn't coming back, he is going into witness protection until Mr. Scratch is found and put behind bars" Emily explained leaving everyone in shock.
"What?" Rossi asked
"That is all I know, I really can't answer any questions, and I'm sorry" Emily responded
"So we can't contact him or talk to him ever?" Garcia asked
"That's right" Emily said sadly then went to her office, JJ went in as well and shut the door and the blinds as Emily was at her desk massaging her temple.
"Is there a case, please tell me there is a case" Emily begged
"I'm guessing it wasn't good?" JJ asked after she shut the blinds.
"Yeah, not good" Emily responded and JJ walked to her and gave her a hug.
"I'm sorry... does this help?" JJ asked as she kissed Emily' neck.
"A little bit," Emily responded and JJ kept kissing her neck for about two minutes.
"Feel better?" JJ asked as she walked to the front of the desk and sat down.
"I guess but I just don't know what I'm going to do" Emily replied
"What do you mean?" JJ asked
"I can either stay and do this position or go back to my old one at interpol, that's what Barnes said
"Emily, you have been doing so good here, you're a great leader and an amazing unit chief. Barnes wants you to go back to London? Are you considering it?" JJ asked
"I have only been running the BAU for a short time, and I knew there was going to be an ending soon, but just taking over fully, for who knows how long, it kinda scares me." Emily explained
"So you WANT to go back to London?" JJ emphasized