Chapter Eight

Jeno didn't get a good look at Renjun's back during their walk, too engrossed in his own turmoil to notice such glaring details. But when they stood at the front door of Donghyuck's home, Jeno took notice of the tattered material of Renjun's uniform shirt. Observed the splattering of blood painting the inside of the bleached shirt. Inspected the raw skin peeking out from underneath their curtain of navy feathers.

The sight was disturbing, but not in the gut-wrenching, grossed-out kind of way; it was more like his-friend-went-through-a-life-changing-process-a-matter-of-minutes-ago kind of way. Plus, a little voice in his head pointing out, And I wasn't there to witness it.

It wasn't until Jeno was scuffing his shoes off and sliding into a spare pair of slippers when he realized he shouldn't be feeling excluded. It was such a private process—falling in love. Why should he be involved? He wasn't nearly as bothered when Mark and Donghyuck snuck around. So, the question begged itself, yet again: what about Renjun ticked him off?

Jeno scowled and inspected Renjun from the corner of the couch, watched as he went about his fresh-eyed, awed investigation of his newly-grown wings. Gentle and wary, yet intrigued and eager. Much like how Donghyuck had first reacted with his own pair.

Speaking of Donghyuck...

Jeno's gaze flitted toward the kitchen, which Donghyuck was rummaging through in search of snacks. Jeno watched as Donghyuck occasionally paused to look over his shoulders and smile fondly at the smooth feathers that peered back at him. As Donghyuck reached behind his back with wild urgency, only to relax and become placid while stroking his wings.

There was a moment of hushed silence between their group. Mundane tasks and enrapturing sights stealing away their usually smooth flow of conversation.

Jaemin nudged Jeno with his elbow. Jeno turned toward him, startled and put-out by the sudden intrusion. 

"I think Hyuck's looking for that bubble tea we saved from last week," Jaemin said. "But, I drank it all after crashing here last night." 

He nodded his head toward the door. 

"Wanna buy some more with me?"

Jeno frowned. 

"Why should I help cover you?"

Jaemin grinned and rested his head atop Jeno's shoulder, batting his eyelashes coyly. 

"Because we both know you can't stand to be around these two right now."

Jeno couldn't deny the obvious.

So, not bothering to be subtle about it, Jeno excused himself from the living room and made his exit through the front door. He heard Jaemin following behind him with close comfort and was quick to fall in step with him once they were trudging out onto the sidewalk.

"Was I that obvious?" Jeno asked.

Jaemin snorted and knocked his shoulder into Jeno's. 

"Don't worry," he said with a smile. "I doubt they noticed. They were too busy fawning over their wings—"

"And each other," Jeno muttered.

"To pay much attention to us," Jaemin continued. "And chin up, no-jam. They'll get over this star-crossed-lovers act of theirs soon enough, and will probably be back at each other's throats within a week."

Jeno raised a brow. 

"That soon?"

Jaemin shrugged and held the store's door open for Jeno to pass through.