Chapter Sixteen

Maybe it was because he presumed Jeno to be Jaemin's wing-bearer, but Donghyuck found himself clinging onto Jeno's company for long periods. He frequently found himself sprawled along Jeno's bed as he waited for Jeno to finish his homework. Wanting to spend the lapses in time and busy schedules with his friend.

Renjun didn't seem to mind, so why did Donghyuck feel guilty?

In little moments, passing instances, when Donghyuck felt that he was doing something horribly wrong.

Case in point:

Jeno was doing his homework, as always. Donghyuck was sprawled along his bed and scrolling through his phone. Cool. No big deal.

But sometimes—sometimes— Donghyuck's gaze would...wander.

Shuffling across the bedspread, tilting his head just so, Donghyuck could get a perfect view of Jeno's face. Edges hard and stern with concentration, eyes dark and rapid-moving with the text below him. Lips pursed and jaw taut. Pencil spinning between his fingers, the heel of his foot bouncing restlessly in the air.

Soft, downy bangs kissing the rims of his long lashes. High, dramatic cheekbones moving in tandem to his clenching-unclenching jaw. Adam's apple bobbing in impatience. Gaze, dark and low, flitting over to Donghyuck for a brief moment—

Donghyuck's phone slipped through his fingers, landing directly onto his face.

With Jeno's quiet, breathless laughter filling the room, Donghyuck realized that he had a problem on his back.