Chapter Twenty-Eight

New Year's Eve.

Jaemin had been up all night because his mother finally mentioned that Renjun, Jeno, and Donghyuck were coming over for the party.

Well, "party" was a bit of an overstatement. It was more like an eat-talk-and-drink kind of get-together. But it wasn't even a get-together because nobody aside from him, his mother, and his father were the ones celebrating underneath their roof.

There were a few years that either Renjun's or Jeno's family would stop by to celebrate with them. But as time passed, there seemed to be a mutual agreement that spending time with one's own family would be better, much like how Donghyuck's family had always been strict in their family-only tradition when it came to national celebrations.

So the announcement of all three coming over, so soon after Jaemin's breakdown, was kind of getting to Jaemin.

"Sweetie," his mother began, handing him a few bills, "can you go to the convenience store and get some extra snacks? I know how your boys like to eat..."

Jaemin took the money with a violent flush invading his cheeks. "They're not my boys," he muttered as he made his way outside.

It hadn't snowed for the holidays, so the neighborhood was bustling with last-minute preparations without any weather worries. Jaemin made his way to the nearby store, shuffling through the automatic doors with a shiver-shudder sigh as the heated air inside engulfed him. He grabbed a fistful of the bagged candy he knew they all like, including himself. A few bottles of soda, a couple of coffees for himself because he would need a little boost to keep himself up until midnight.

He was at the counter—he was right there—when the doors opened for one, two, three new customers. All of whom were sporting two pairs of proud wings on their backs.

"Oh," Donghyuck said first, and, oh, God, Jaemin wasn't ready.

"Jaemin," Jeno greeted, stilted and awkward.

"Fancy meeting you here," Renjun coyly said, and, fuck, Jaemin needed his coffee.

"Is this all you'll be needing today, sir?" the cashier questioned.

Jaemin whirled around and rapidly nodded his head. "Yes, that's it." The cashier read off the price of his purchases and began placing them into plastic bags as Jaemin fumbled with his waded bills.

When the money was placed into the register, the trio made their move as the change was placed into Jaemin's clammy palm.

"Please, let me carry those for you."

"Here, put my scarf on. You look like you'll freeze out there."

Renjun didn't even need to say anything. He just offered Jaemin a wide, wide grin and a gentle-hearted nudge to his arm, and Jaemin had heat spreading to the tips of his toes.

New Year's Eve.

Jaemin wanted the year to be done already.