Chapter 9

Spencer stepped into the elevator, his heart still hadn't seemed to return to it's normal pace and he cleared his throat, trying to steady himself. He almost didn't notice a voice calling out from the other side of the room.
"Reid!" He stuck a hand out stopping the doors just in time, and in stepped Emily. "Head in the clouds tonight?"
"Hm? Oh, yeah." He snapped himself back to attention.
"What were you up to this evening Doctor? Your hair's a mess, and is that a hickey?"
"What?" Panic immediately spread through him and he struggled to look at his neck, searching for the tell tale sign of reckless behavior.
"I was kidding, but that was quite the reaction. Who's the lucky girl."
Spencer sighed. Relief washing over him, and slight embarrassment. "No one."
"Uh huh, and I wasn't enjoying a night in with Sergio and a large bottle of wine." She shot him one last glance but didn't push it any further.

"Hotch is there waiting, I'm just g-" Garcia had bumped into Spencer and Emily as they stepped out of the elevator and her eyes flicked up to Spencer's hair. "Your hair, rough sleep?" 
Guess Emily hadn't been kidding about that. 
He brought a hand up, trying to fix it, but by the look of disapproval on Garcia's face he wasn't doing a great job.
"Here let me," Garcia brought a hand up to his hair, and Spencer fidgeted, impatient. "Ooh, have you spoken to Y/N since last night?" 
This time Spencer remembered to keep his composure, although he wasn't sure what to say. 
"No, but I uh, dropped her off." He skipped the parts in between then and now. He didn't know what exactly was going on, and there was no reason for him to bring his personal life to work. Something the team as a whole seemed to struggle with. 

Once the team had been debriefed and were on there way Spencer pulled out his phone. 
No new notifications
He didn't know what he had been expecting but his stomach turned. Thoughts of you flashing through his head.
"You okay kid?" Morgan was sitting opposite Reid and they were the only two not yet asleep.
"Mhm." Spencer nodded, locking his phone and his thoughts of you away with it.
"Get some rest."
Spencer didn't challenge him, giving Derek a small smile before turning towards the window.

                                                                                 ***

In your apartment you were pacing around. Jesus. Had that really just happened? You were replaying the night over in your head, from Spencer picking you up, to dancing under a streetlight, to both of you here, in your apartment. Like you were teenagers.
You needed a drink.
On second thought that probably wasn't the best idea. 
Instead you got yourself a glass of water. Settling into your couch. You needed a distraction. Flicking on the TV it lit up with re-runs of Doctor Who. You nearly choked on your water.
This was ridiculous.

                                                                                 ***

The team had landed in Washington but it was late. And dark. Hotch had instructed everyone to go to their hotel rooms and they'd reconvene the next morning.
This was met with little dispute and they split off with yawns.
Spencer however, wasn't tired and he slumped onto his bed, his satchel dropping to the floor.
He pulled out his phone again. Opening his messages with you.
7 messages. That was all there was to show. 
Spencer thought back to Las Vegas, how inseparable you'd been. Then he thought about the years you'd gone without any contact whatsoever and he felt a pang in his chest. 
He was about to shut off the phone when the familiar 3 bouncing dots appeared on his screen.
And then vanished. 
He groaned. What was he doing?