9- jingle bells, weddings smell

[Note: I know it's been a while. I have no excuse. And it's a shorter one too. Just a bad case of writer's block. I'll try to get the next chapter out quicker.]

[Note 1.5: look out for the order! They are stubborn goblins who don't like to stay where they are told.]

[2nd Note: I don't know how weddings work. Enjoy.]

If I didn't love Christmas so much, I would have hated this entire holiday.

Today was the day Greg goes from mom's annoying fiance to mom's new husband.

Wedding day. I make a sour face as I sit in the salon in the late afternoon geting my hair done with mom and her bridesmaids. Don't get me wrong. I love my mom's friends. And I love mom. And I want her to be happy. But Greg? I just don't see what she sees in him. Greg can't be more opposite to dad.

Where dad was soft and strong and considerate and warm and sincere, Greg was sharper and lean and colder and would play you off. He was everything my dad wasn't. Dad would help me explore what I was intrested in. Sure he'd try to get me to try things he liked but if I didn't like them, he wouldn't push them on me. He would meet me halfway with our interests. He tried. He was right.

Greg... Greg would take a mile for every inch you took back. The more walls I built the bigger the wrecking ball he brought. I could see him trying. Trying to push us together, pull my mom to him trying to be my dad, try his way. Try his interests.

He was wrong.

But I could see how much he loved my mom. That was obvious. And I could see how much she liked him. So I grit my teeth and put up with it.

Back in the salon, everyone's hair was finished and we were all putting our coats on, careful not to damage our do's. Everyone's hair was done in messy, curly buns lose on the top of our heads laden with pearls real holly and primroses: the main theme of the wedding. They actually looked nice together. I guess that's what you get for a wedding between a fashion magazine editor and an artist.

The venue is all set up already when we arrive, dry cleaning bags thrown over our shoulders as we wait in the elevator to take us up to the top floor of the hotel. Some hopeful pop artist's newest hit plays over the speakers.

"Are you okay, Y/n?" Asks my god mother, aunt Laura. She wasn't biologically related to me but her and my mom were both raised by my grandparents. She was family and the first person who introduced me to Architecture.

"Yeah," I say. I look to my right where my mom is standing. She's beautiful. And she's smiling. "Yeah, fine. Just tired, I think. Didn't sleep well."

"Aw, well, come see me later." Spoke Dana. A work friend. I don't know her very well. "I know all these home remedies for insomnia. All you need is a few pomegranates, a pot of boiling water, some maize and a bag of fresh dirt."

"Does that actually work?" Asked Lani. Our neighbor.

Dana seemed to think about this for a second. "You know, I don't know. I've never had insomnia but it does help me sleep." The conversation drifted to other topics.

I changed into my dress with the rest of the bridesmaids; a soft, light holly green sleeveless floor length with a primrose colored silk shawl. Pearls lined both the neckline and the shawl in a simple swirl pattern resembling little fleures de lise. It was honestly beautiful. I hated it.

I looked around the venue while guests arrived. It was a high ceiling with copper accents and meaningless swirls of red all around some big expensive chandelier. The walls were lined with windows on three sides so you could see the majority of the city. The cloudless sky was that weird grayish orangey blue when the sun is trying to decide to set or not. It's gold light shone through the glass and made horizontal columns of warmth shine throughout the room onto the chairs all facing the front of the room. Near the front was a flower arch of primroses and holly leaves. The floor was covered in a pearl white carpet.