21- the next step in our adventure

Kai's pov

I bounced my knee as I sat at the breakfast table, spinning my butter knife in my hand absentmindedly.

I hadn't slept all night. Just lay in bed, staring at the top of my bunk, thinking.

Thinking about asking Y/n to marry me.

I thought I was ready. I think I am. No- I know I am. I want to spend my life with her. I want her to officially be apart of my family. I want to start one with her. Live in the universe behind her eyes, wake up to her smile bright like the full moon. I wanted her.

I had come to a conclusion. But I had no idea how to bring it to reality.

"Kai, are you okay?" Asked Jay, who sat across from me, his plate of ketchup with scrambled eggs nearly finished. "You've barely eaten anything."

I look down at my plate. He was right. The pile of eggs and toast was untouched and probably cold. "I guess I'm just not hungry." I state.

"I believe that statement to be inaccurate," Zane said, walking in from the kitchen, having just cleaned up. He took the seat besides Jay. "Your unfocused gaze and repetitive fiddling with your cutlery would indicate that there is something on your mind. Perhaps anxious?"

"Can't argue with a nindroid." Said Lloyd, who was sitting on my left. He took a swig of orange juice and turned to look at me expectantly.

The other two did the same. I felt my face flush under their looks. The knife spun faster in my hands.

"Well, what are you thinking about?" Prompted Lloyd.

"Y/n."

Lloyd rolled his eyes with a smirk as he raised his glass for another sip. "Yeah, that's a given. Why are you so jittery this time?" I watched each of their faces for their reactions as I said my next words.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with her."

Lloyd choked on his juice. Zane smiled and Jay laughed joyously.

"But I don't know how to ask her. I don't even know if she's ready for that!"

"The only way to truly know, is to ask her." Pointed Lloyd.

"I've known Nya for years now, and I'm not ready to marry her." Said Jay, pushing the last few mouthfuls of egg around. I glared at him. He looked up and paled.

"You mean you might break up with her?"

"What?" Jay dropped his fork and waved his hands at me. "Nononono! I mean, yet. I've only been dating her for a few months!" He smiles nervously.

"So you're going to eventually marry my sister?" I raised my eyebrow.

Jay paled even more. "I-"

"Kai, stop tormenting him." Cole phased into the room. Scaring Jay in the process. "And stop avoiding the subject. What's on your mind, bro?"

Now it was my turn to blush again. I shifted on my seat. I had said it once. No going back now. "I want to know if Y/n and I are ready for the next thing."

Cole stood there with his arms crossed, slightly confused.

"He is implying a marriage proposal." Said Zane.

It was like a light went off in Cole's head. His eyes widened and his mouth formed an 'o'.

"Really? Why didn't you say so? That's great, man!"

I smiled, feeling uncomfortable with the attention. With how loud they were speaking, I was glad that Y/n was already at the precinct and Nya was out doing another promo for Dareth.
It was some eco friendly bottled water she had taken an interest in.