7- birthday fiasco

I wake up on the morning of September 14 to the smell of chocolate pancakes and maple syrup. Mom's chocolate pancakes and fresh maple syrup. Probably with fresh smoothies (chocolate and strawberries)

Also known as my usual birthday breakfast.

My birthday is relatively the same every year. We usually do all our birthdays the same. Our favourite breakfast (mine consisted of lots of chocolate), then, if it was the weekend, mom and dad and I would play games like pictionary and clue. (Uno was unofficially banned in the house). Or we'd go do somthing together. Usually Bf/n would cone along on my birthday. If one if our birthdays fell on a weekday, we would rent out our favourite old movies and laugh at all the same old jokes. Or it was. Till dad died.

Now it's just me and mom. We still do the big breakfast and movies. But it didn't quite feel the same. More empty.

I put on one of my favourite shirts, a souvenir from when my dad brought me to Jamanakai Village, wich has mostly been preserved architecturally, it's one of my favourite villages. A pare of blue jeans and my beanie with my hair in a braid. And I head down the stairs to breakfast.

Imagine my surprise to find my mom's fiancee, Greg, in all his designer suit glory sitting at the table with a tall stack of pancakes infront of him.

He looks up at me with a smile. "Good morning Y/n!" He says. "How's the birthday girl today? Not every day your girl turns 17!"

I'm not your girl, I grumble in my mind. But smile none the less. We bairly know each other.

Mom comes around the table and gives me a hug. "Happy birthday, Sweetheart," she says. I hug her back. She breaks off first. "Okay, here we go, Chocolat pancakes with fresh maple syrup, chocolat-strawberry smoothie, and diabetes for breakfast, just the way you like it," she says with a smile as we sit down. She has a strawberry banana smoothie instead of chocolate and a fruit salad. I frown.

"You're not having any with me?" I ask? She looks over to Greg.

"Well, it is alot of sugar, Honey, " Greg says. "Your mother and I thought we might have a healthier breakfast today." I give mom a look and she waves it off like it's no big deal. I guess it's not, it's just we usually share the birthday breakfast. I feel kind of awkward now with all this food just for me.

Mom looks like she wants to say something else. I give her a pointed look. "What is it?"

"Uh, well, sweetheart, Greg wanted to treat us to dinner this evening. A new restaurant that just opened."

"What happened to game and old movie night?"

"It's a new year, sugarplum, " piped Greg. Oblivious of the destruction he's inflicting on my life. "We can make new traditions. Have a fresh start!"

'I don't want a fresh start,' I think. 'I want my family.'

The rest of breakfast is quiet this time. Greg and mom try to start a conversation but I guess I'm just not into it. When I'm finished, I pack up my textbooks and head to the bus to school.

Last year of high school. Only two weeks in and I'm already so done with it.

Of course on the way to the bus stop I have to fall into the only mud puddle on the sidewalk. I scoff as I get up and try to wipe as much dirty water off my jeans.

The bus pulls up and I shake my hands once more before getting on. I sit on a seat in the middle of the bus like I usually do. But the space where Bf/n usually sits is empty. She's on a news trip with her internship. Lucky.