1,1•Her knickers are rotten, Orla

I woke up to a banging on my bedroom door. Slipping on my dressing gown, I walked over to open it. "Do You's wanna read Erins diary with me?" Orla said to me as soon as the handle was turned. I stared at her for a minute in disbelief, before looking down to the dairy in her hands, my eyes going wide in excitement. "Aye I would" I said giggling with Orla, dragging her across the hall into Erins room. Orla started to read it aloud on a chair, while I sat on the floor next to her, resting my head on her thigh. After she read through the boring, want to be art parts, she got to a good bit "everybody knows everybody, knows everything about everybody. Sometimes all I really want, is to be simply left alone." At this point I was standing up, seeing Erins eyes peak open. She slowly sat up, which in a way was more intimidating then if she sat up quickly. "Is that my diary?" She questioned Orla and me, her eyes darting in between us both.

I flung open her bedroom door and flew down the stairs, Orla not far behind me. We came to a hault in the kitchen, although my socks caused me to slide into the counter due to the speed I was going at. Erin stormed in not a minute later, heading straight to her mam. "They've gone too far this time mammy, well, what next I'll catch them trying on me knickers?" Erin questioned, outraged. "I wouldn't be caught dead in them old things" I whispered, appalled at the idea of wearing Erins old knickers "Don't say knickers in front of your father, he can't cope" Aunt Mary said back, almost appalled at Erins 'language' "So what's a pair of knickers between cousins?" Orla questioned, honestly seeing no problem with the idea. "Her knickers are rotten Orla, I've seen 'em hanging up to dry, They look like something great aunt Bridie would wear" I said. Mary whacked me with the shirt that she'd just pulled out of the washer, which caused little Anna to giggle. "Enough of the knickers" Mary glared at me, Causing me to roll my eyes and hold my hands up in surrender.

"I won't put up with it anymore. Teenagers have rights now you know" Erin kept up with the dramatics. "Don't be ridiculous" Mary quietly responded. "They do ma, it's true, sure, Mccauley Culkin might be divorcing his parents." Erin continued to carry on.

"Do you hear this" Mary questioned her husband, Gerry honestly looking like he wanted nothing to do with it, causing me to chuckle. "This'll be Someone she met at that stupid summer scheme you insisted we sent her on." I looked at Mary incredulously "bloody friends across the barricades thing", Mary said, disgusted. "I mean I have- nothing- against Protestants, I'm all for integration I am, but if they're letting they're wains divorce them.." Mary stated. "I don't think Macaul-" I started saying, before Erin interrupted me. "Macaulay Culkin isn't a Protestant. Ma." Erin said, truly annoyed. "It's only gonna give our wains ideas." Mary told Gerry, completely ignoring Erin. "Well, he might be, but I didn't meet him at friends across the barricades" Erin replied. "Of course you didn't, HES an ACTOR" I semi-shouted, fed up with all the talk about Macaulay Culkin. Aunt Mary sent me a glare "I don't care where you met him. You're not to see him again, understood" Mary told Erin, causing her to storm away.

Grandpa Joe interrupted the conversation to tell us about the bridge bombing.  We all gathered round the Tv, watching the news. "Dear god no, does this mean they can't get to school" Mary questioned. "I've had a whole summer of it Gerry, she's melting my head" she continued, staring at Erin. Gerry responded, only to be interrupted by a knock on the door, and Aunt Sarah walking in, immediately telling Orla to have a lie in, not being aware of the holiday being over. I shoved my denim jacket into by bag, and slung it over my shoulder. "I'm gonna be off early aunt Mary." I told her, not letting her in on the reason. "Why? Go with Erin and Orla, love." Mary responded looking at me suspiciously. "Aye I would but I just want to clear me head a bit auntie, tough day you know?" I responded as innocently as I could.  Aunt Mary's eyes softened, "oh aye, just, make sure you walk safe right? Can never be to careful out there now days" Mary replied. "I will" I responded. Kissing grandpa Joe and baby Anna on the cheek goodbye as I left.