canto ii

"Where is she?" He wondered aloud, brushing his thick hair across his sweating brow. He was almost annoyed. The young miss had insisted since yesterday that she come watch his practice today but she was late. Fifty minutes late.

No, he was annoyed. There the girl had been, egging him on and begging to see his skills (pumping his ego) and then she'd not bothered to show. The knight huffed, slamming his practice sword on the ground.

He stormed towards the butler standing with water at the corner of the training field with lengthy strides, and asked, rather harshly, "Where's Lady Y/N?!"

He pointed a callused finger at the man, who didn't flinch. The older man's eyes look tired as he drawled, "The young lady has been met with a distraction. He stayed rather late than expected."

The 12 year old was mad! So here he was waiting for her and she was off with some other guy?? What kind of—

But he couldn't find any fault or anger towards Lady Y/N, instead he felt extremely irritated at the thing that prevented the girl from coming to him, fawning over his skills, flashing him those eyes that so surprised him this morning.

He left the butler with a glass of water, pondering what to do. He sighed, about to take a sip when his eye was caught with the sight of an approaching couple, one which held particular resemblance to his master and the other... well the parasite that was leaching off of her, clinging to her side so tightly the knight could barf.

He suddenly had a thought.

His jagged teeth flashed in the early evening sunlight, black hair illuminating the red eyes beneath.

Deyen grinned widely.

"...And that's why I believe we should have tea together next weekend, in my palace," he smiled, eyes fixated on hers.

The girl mentally sweat dropped. Had her one comment really changed the story line this much? Well, there wasn't much about Y/N written in the first place besides the fact that she was a villainess who wanted to restrain the heroine from reaching her happy ever after. However, as far as the book suggested, Y/N had never been invited to a tea party.

She loosened her grip on Eddy's arm and smiled, eyes closed.

"I would love to, but I—"

"Great!" Eddy had cut her off before she got the chance to continue. "That's great, right?"

His eyes were widened and the atmosphere had suddenly changed.

"Right?"

It was almost menacing. Y/N stared at his dilating pupils in wonder, curiosity and in fear.

What was this ten year old thinking?

"...Right."

"And of course I properly will ask your father for permission," he turned to her, "That's what you were going to say after 'but' right? You ought not to forget your father's position in society."

"Of course, Your Highness—"

"Eddy."

"...Eddy."

She turned her head away, definitely unsatisfied with the result.

She opened her mouth to speak when—

"Lady Y/N!"

The girl in question looked ahead, where the voice seemly came from. Her eyes light up in recognition.

"Ah! Deyen!" She unravelled her arm from Eddy's right grip and stumbled forward. She managed to retain her posture and lowered her head in greeting, apologetic look spread across her face.

"I'm so sorry! I neglected to have someone inform you of this mishap."

The knight grinned, ruffling her hair as she huffed in annoyance. She took a sharp inhale as she felt a presence almost just appear next to her.

"Y/N..." Eddy was looming over her head, arching over to make her cower, "who's this?"

Deyen stuck out his hand, pushing away the tremendous weight of Eddy's gaze from Y/N's shoulders. She sent him a look of relief, gratefulness. Oh how great it felt to see her in his debt. Perhaps this is the benefits of being a knight, he's feeling the feeling that just should be felt!

"I'm Deyen, Y/N's personal knight."

"Y/N... where's your respect, knight? Call her your lady."

"Hey! Who do you think you—!"

"Calm down, Deyen. He's right."

Eddy smirked.

"Well, Deyen, we ought to be on our way."

He glanced at Y/N. "Go ahead, I'll catch up."

She did as he stated, leaving the two boys to reminisce, perhaps about how villainess she was. Life was hard.

They were silent. An awkward, almost minute silence overcame the atmosphere. Though it spoke clearer than the words Eddy whispered next:

"Stay away from her if you want to kept your hands."

"I could say the same to you."

Deyen wasn't sure why he said that but he was determined now.

Eddy would not have her, his master, Y/N L/N.