canto vi

Haha... finally an update... *whispers* please don't kill me.

"Have you considered my proposal?"

She sipped your tea gently, for it was hot and the girl had a sensitive tongue. Y/N had somehow found her at tea with Eddy, as had been previously promised (obligated, if Y/N had any say in the matter).

She gently smiled at her as she put down the china cup decorated with blooming flowers. "I have, indeed, Eddy."

"And?"

He seemed impatient, leaning forward in his chair. The two were sat at a small, circular table made of glass, in Eddy's, the prince of the neighbouring region, greenhouse. It was relatively warm due to it being the optimum temperature for the plants, and a beads of sweat began accumulating on the young girl's forehead. She began to pull at her clothes in discomfort.

His eyes were unreadable as she answered, "I'm afraid I must decline. You know that I am currently engaged!" Y/N thought to herself that in the distant future she would be free, but didn't dare to tell the boy so. It was strange really, his presence was hardly noticeable in the true novel. He had been a minor villain that had been briefly enamoured with Maria Eugenic, but his region was invaded by Augustus and he died very suddenly. Still, she managed to voice, sensing disappointment:

"I cannot offer you my hand, but I can surely offer you my assistance in choosing a suitable partner. It would be my honour to, as both your friend and your subordinate."

The girl smiled despite the grim atmosphere. The boy's head was tilted downwards, locks of hair shading his eyes and thus she didn't know how to interpret his thoughts. (The eyes were the window to the soul, after all).

A slight murmur was heard amidst the buzzing of bugs laying home on the petals above: "Surely you don't love him, though."

Eddy lifted his head so that his tear filled eyes could be seen. "I only tried to propose an opportunity to be in courtship, an arrangement, between friends. It would allow the two of us to feel comfortable in each other's presence. I don't doubt the awkward nature of your relationship with the future Archduke Saberstein. Perhaps we are not as close as I had hoped."

A rush of pity swelled within her; Y/N's heart ached at the sight of her friend so hurt. She felt a sudden need to quell the atmosphere, stuttering out denials of his last accusation, standing up as she moved towards Eddy. She knelt beside her, gripping his hands in hers.

"Please know that I appreciate you deeply, Eddy. I don't want you to think anything less of our relationship. I sincerely apologise that at this point in time I cannot accept your proposal, though I know it comes from a good place." The young girl smiled sadly as she stood up. Deyen was no doubt beginning to irritate at the time she had made him wait; she didn't want any more personal vendettas weighed against her by him. She turned her sights from his pleading, pitiful features to the door where Deyen stood with his back facing them. "For now, I must bid you adieu. I'll be in contact soon."

She left, softly shutting the door behind her, waving a little as she finally left.

Eddy was still sat rigid at the table.

The boy wiped the liquid from his eyes, annoyed that the crocodile tears had dried on his smooth skin. He sighed, fingering the edge of the china cup the girl had drunk from. How irritating.

So, he was unable to convince Y/N of accepting his proposal. It was undoubtedly so, and he was sure even his father would disapprove.

Despite this, he derived some success from this meeting. He saw how she had rushed to his side at the mere sight of upset. How she had gripped his hands tightly with her own. She had seemed so close in that moment, and he almost wanted to burst out in a smile, but knew better at that point.

Now he began to grin, for he knew something fatal and essential.

Y/N's weakness.

"Deyen, I'm sorry that you had to wait so long," the girl started to say, sighing softly as he trailed a foot behind her.

She turned her head to see him. His stance was aggressive, though not unexpected for a knight. Still, Deyen was angry, she could tell. His thick hair was out of place, and his eyes had become dark.

At meeting her eyes, he immediately tried to tame his expression, moulding it into what was necessary of him. He spat out, with as much grace as possible, "Truly that bastard is insatiable... dragging my lady out of her way simply for tea. The journey was harrowing for this? And I have missed training." God, I hate him, how I wish I could rip that fresh smirk off of his hideous face—!

"I apologise for you missing your training, I know that that is very important to you," the corners of her lips lifted as she continued, "And if I may say without your interruption, that you are mighty talented at it too."

He hesitated for a moment. "Ah, my lady..."

His eyes shown from beyond her sight, though quickly darkened when his thoughts shifted to reality and to that insufferable prince that his lady had wasted her time with.

His fingers curled into a fist.

Augustus laid in a languid state, eyes drifting in and out of reality. It was hard to believe it had all ended just like that! The president of his... intolerable? fan club had finally resigned. He thought he should be happy, elated, able to pursue anything without the wandering and pestering eyes of that (E/C)-eyed girl.

He felt almost at a loss. Maybe he should talk to Maria about it. He felt she was always correct with manners he did not understand. He appreciated the blonde girl very much for her input!

Even the thought of Maria Eugenic could not quell him though, as he shifted from hands, resting his chin on the opposite first. The droning voice of his royal tutor had blended with the ringing sound of consciousness, and he almost slipped imagining the smile of Y/N L/N.

"Ah-"

His elbow hit the desk and he winced.

The tutor stopped in his steps, sharp eyes behind moon shaped spectacles piercing into him. "Your Highness...?"

He flushed in embarrassment.

He had some letters to send.

The journey back home lasted roughly three hours. Despite living on the border of the region, it was still difficult in a carriage to reach the L/N home in an appropriate time. The sky outside was already beginning to dim.

Back at the L/N household, the young girl parted with Deyen with a small wave at the door of the manor.

However, treats were still in store for when Y/N entered: for who else would stand there to greet her but her very fiancé that she had spoken about earlier in the day. She silently thought to herself Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Y/N plastered a small, tired smile on her face. "Hello, Your Ladyship, Your Lordship, and Alexander. I hope you haven't been put out in your visit!"

The young boy smiled up at you, pearly teeth shimmering.

Viscount L/N thankfully responded in their place, as the young girl was sure she would be unable to host due to pure exhaustion. "Y/N, the Archduchy have arrived with news."

He smiled warmly at you as the unease began to rise.