canto v

The girl coughed. Alexander had still not accepted her proposal of playing a game of some sort, so she stood there amiss whilst the smaller boy's eyes drilled into her.

She awkwardly let out a huff and asked again, "Would you like to play with me?"

Lady Saberstein nudged the boy, whose eyes that were once glazed over that cracked with the reality of the situation.

He, in an embarrassing flush, averted his gaze to allow his watery eyes to clear. It would be unbecoming of him to cry.

"I-It would be a pleasure, my lady."

The parents smiled down at their child with a look of surprise. Alexander was rather introverted, and despite their best efforts never took to talking to strangers much. Perhaps this girl would help him.

"Well, now with that settled, I shall call upon the servants to set up a tea whilst you play. Perhaps the young miss Y/N is interested in horses?" Lady Saberstein had a gentle voice, much like that of Alexander's. It had a sonorous tone that eased Y/N's ebbing nerves.

She grinned, "Of course. Anything Your Ladyship recommends is bound to be fun."

"Why! How polite! So becoming of my future daughter in law. We must talk one on one some time, perhaps in preparation for the wedding?"

Marriages from ages as young as Y/N's were in no way uncommon, yet Y/N shied away from such a prospect—she would need to remind her Ladyship, in the near future of course, of her plans to annul the engagement.

Alexander, on the other hand, held his head down so one could not see his face, yet his mother, whose hand laid on his shoulder, felt the heat radiating off his poor, chubby cheeks.

"Perhaps, Your Ladyship, but now I am in urgent need to please Alexander."

She smiled with languid ease, eyes glazing over the boy whose ears were red, head drooped down like a wounded gazelle.

Her smile faltered. It would seem the protagonist's influence had reached him already—he could not bare even to gaze into her eyes.

"Well," a shrill voice sounded. The lord spoke with such elegance that she dared thought his face did not suit him. "Shall we leave, my lady? We have other matters to attend to, and I'm sure the children can fend for themselves."

"We shall! Now, behave yourself, Al. Remember what I have told you." Her voice ended with a sinister tone, an underlying warning.

He mumbled something incoherently, and his mother nodded. She kissed his head and fluttered her fingers at Y/N.

"I hope to see you again soon, Y/N. Very soon."

When she left, only Y/N and the young boy were left. He had yet to meet her gaze.

She chuckled awkwardly, rubbing her arm with her fingers. Anxious thoughts ran through her hand. Would he, Saberstein, Alexander Saberstein, really send her to her death in a few years? She feared for the worst.

So, perhaps she best make it clear her intentions with him. She would later condone his mother.

"My young master, Alexander, I beg your forgiveness."

Only then did he raise his head. When he did, the soft hair that had curled at his temples shifted to his eyes; oh his eyes, a deep silvery undertone that made his eyes look watery, pathetic; his stature that of a beggar.

He seemed at a loss. Why... why was she saying this? She had done nothing wrong. It was him whom had not met her gaze, whom had evaded the questions, whom had flat out ignored her.

Then why was she sorry?

The apology seemed that of one who would leave. His favourite maid had apologised in such a manner, and he never saw her again.

Looking at Y/N he felt a swell, a beat missed in his chest. His heart accelerated, and not just due to her, as he might compliment, her outstanding beauty, but her willingness to attempt to make conversation. He felt strangely moved, wanting to clutch his chest with both hands yet at the same time secure Y/N's position near him.

"I... I seemed to have upset you."

His eyes widened.

"So.. I believe it is only right, and for your sake, to take my leave—."

Before she could utter such words, a hand clung to her forearm. Its grip was tight and Y/N could feel the blood gathering in the veins of her hand. She wanted to hiss from the pain, but she kept her mouth shut in case of angering him further.

"No!"

"I--I'm sorry my lord but if you could let go of my arm and tell me what's wrong-- perhaps I could.."

"Please! Just don't leave. You have not upset me as you so claim. And I beg of you, my lady, to refer to me as anything but my lord. I fear I am not worthy of such a title."

"I..."

Her large eyes were wide in shock. Had this young master uttered such words? The same one that dared look at her with such cold eyes and sentence her to her death by the hands of those whom she once trusted?

Was it an act?

Her mind raced. The boy was only a child. He wouldn't be so malicious and diabolical now. She had perhaps caught him before that. Before the influence of a blond bimbo.

Well, either way, she would go along with it for now. Either way, she would let him have this. He seems so pitiful. And if the time came where he saw fit to throw her away, she would be thrown willingly. For if she did not act against the main character in the future, she would potentially live. Maybe even a glorious life, endless possibility, of love.

And that's the only reason why she smiled and said, "Alright, Al."

The evening luminance was a splendid sight; so very candid, humane. Eddie feared he would never grow bored of it, just as he did not of her.

The feeling was in no way alien to him, he understood every part and desire of himself.

Hw only wished for a way to gain her favour quickly, to have her by his side constantly and preferably out of her free will.

Either way, he thought, staring graciously into the sun's orb, he would triumph.

She would be his.

That Y/N L/N girl.