chapter three

I was curled up by my window when it began to rain. 

At first, it was soft and gentle, but then it became a downpour that hammered on the roof. I enjoyed the rain, it was calming, however, I wasn't overly fond of storms. Ever since I was little, they had scared me, and I glanced at the dark sky with dismay. 

My laptop became the only source of light in my room, as the sunlight faded behind angry storm clouds, and I begrudgingly moved from my spot to flick on the lights. I was nearly done with my assignments, which was good because it was almost four-thirty, and the twins would be home from school soon. 

It was my turn to make dinner, too. Roman had a distinct interest in culinary skills, he wanted to become a chef when he was older, but it was almost impossible to get him to cook on his days. Since there were five of us, we all picked the day of the week we would cook, and then the other two days were fair game. I usually ended up filling in those spots. 

I submitted the assignment that had been open on my laptop and then I dug around in my desk drawer for my earbuds. I always enjoyed cooking with some music, it kept my mind busy, and I opened my playlist on my phone. Before I situated the earbuds, I pulled my hair into a bun, and then I gathered my things to head downstairs. 

For a few minutes, I stood in front of the pantry, debating about what to make. We had spaghetti a lot, it was a quick and easy meal, but I felt like making something a little different. I eventually decided on chicken parmesan with garlic bread. I hadn't seen Ezra so I figured he was still out. He had a habit of always being late. 

I was finishing the dinner meal when I heard the front door open. I pulled one of my earbuds out, putting it into my pocket. I carefully pulled the garlic bread out of the oven when someone entered the kitchen. 

"Oh boy, it smells heavenly in here," Julian exclaimed and his hand shot over my shoulder to snatch a fresh slice of garlic bread. I swatted at his hand but he shoved the entire thing in his mouth. "This is my favorite!" 

"Don't chew with your mouthful." Roman scolded but his voice was muffled and I turned to see him standing at the sink, holding his nose.

"What happened?" I walked over. Blood was dripping between his fingers into the sink but his hazel eyes were dull as he glanced at me. "Roman, what happened?" 

"Nothing, don't worry."

I glared at Julian over my shoulder, "What happened?" 

Julian avoided eye contact but when I placed my hands on my hips, he awkwardly cleared his throat. "One of the boys decked him in the aisle of the bus."

I felt my chest deflate. I hated that my younger brothers were facing bullying at school. I had called the principal multiple times and each time, I was assured it would be handled, and it never was. I turned back to Roman, "Why can't you just tell me?" 

He rolled his eyes, "Because you get like this. I'm fine, it's just a nosebleed, okay?" He brushed past me, the majority of the bleeding has stopped, and he disappeared out of the kitchen without another word between us. 

"He hates to worry you." Julian was leaning against the counter when I turned around. 

I didn't comment on the statement. Instead, I walked to the cabinet and began pulling out plates. I checked the time on the stove, it was nearly five-thirty now. 

"Where is Mikeal?" I asked, "He should be home soon." 

"He said he would be working late night," Julian said, shrugging, "Something about business, I wasn't really listening." He reached for another piece of garlic bread. I slapped his hand. 

"You know the house rules," I scolded and then looked around, "Have you seen Ezra?" 

Julian shrugged once again, completely unbothered, "Probably in a ditch somewhere." 

I scowled. 

"Okay, alright, I'm kidding. He's probably working, too," Julian couldn't stop looking at the garlic bread and I rolled my eyes. He finally snapped out of it, "Can't we just eat without them?" 

"It's rude."

"We don't know what time they'll be home." 

"Text them." 

"Hell no," Julian drew back off the counter, facial expression twisting, "We only text each other when it's an emergency. Other than that, it's weird."

"I'll do it then," I pulled my phone out of my back pocket. 

"They won't answer." Julian shoved another piece of garlic bread in his mouth, having stolen it while I wasn't looking. I briefly glared at him before sending the text messages. 

I placed my phone on the counter, "How would you know?" 

"I dunno." 

At that moment, Roman joined us in the kitchen. He had cleaned his bloody nose but his eyes still looked dull. I could see exhaustion written all over his face and I hated to see him like this. I hated to see any of my brothers feeling so low. 

Roman sat at the island table, running a hand through his hair. 

"Can we eat?" Julian asked again. 

I eventually agreed when another ten minutes passed and the food was cooling down. Roman loaded his plate to the brim, Julian didn't take as much, and I only took a little. I wasn't exactly that hungry, my appetite had dwindled lately. We sat at the kitchen island instead of the dining table because it was only three of us. 

"Is that all your going to eat?" Julian raised an eyebrow when he saw my plate.

I shrugged, "Yeah. I ate a late lunch." It wasn't a complete lie but it wasn't the full truth. I didn't think it was a big deal, I was just stressed and I would eventually be hungry again. Just not today. 

Roman was completely oblivious. Julian was clearly displeased but he didn't say anything more. We ate in silence, without our oldest siblings, and no texts as to where they were. My stomach twisted, prohibiting me from eating any more than a few bites before I sat back. 

This was happening more often, I truly felt like our little family was falling apart and not even I could hold us together anymore. We were all drifting apart, every day, every hour. It had been a gradual process--missing meals, disappearing without a word, and the fights; and I seemed to be the only one who noticed or cared. 

✧    ✧    ✧    ✧    ✧

What are your thoughts?

 I just love breaking cliches. My older brothers and I are definitely playing the not-talking-to-each-other game right now... and glaring at each other from across the room. 

Real fact: I almost drowned as a little girl but my oldest brother, who could barely swim himself, rescued me (and then yelled at me). Ironically, I absolutely love everything to do with water but my greatest fear is drowning so I really can't explain myself lol