chapter forty

Everyone has a last moment. 

Every day, it's a countdown until then, and we just never know. Perhaps that's why they say to hold your loved ones for a second longer because you never know when you'll see them again. We get so used to just expecting. Expecting to wake up, expecting tomorrow, expecting the week after. 

Truth is, all we have is now, and expecting there to be something more inhibits us from truly living in the moment. I had learned that nothing lasts forever, and nothing is promised. Life can be so unpredictable, and sometimes it can really hurt, but somehow, it teaches me to cherish the small moments even more. 

Especially the moment I saw Finley walk through the front door. 

Well, Mikeal carried him in because he looked completely out of it from his surgery eight hours before. Finley's head rested on Mikeal's forearm as they walked inside. 

Ezra, Roman, and I were in the kitchen. I had gotten up when I heard the car pull in the driveway at nearly dark. After a long day of waiting, I had imagined this moment in every possible way, but nothing compared to the real thing. 

Finley had a white bandage secured around his stomach. Mikeal gently set him down, and he managed to stand on all four paws, but he seemed exhausted. My heart soared with relief at seeing him again. It didn't matter if my body was aching in agony, my soul wasn't.

Now I was sure it wasn't a dream that he was alive. 

"Finley," I called to him. 

Immediately his ears perked, his eyes brightened, and then he looked around until he saw me. 

"Oh, Finley," I instantly went to him when he struggled to take a few steps in my direction. I fell to my knees and before I could blink, his tongue swiped across my salty cheek in a greeting. I hadn't realized I was crying until I could hardly see his warm brown eyes. "I thought I'd lost you," I gently wrapped my arms around his neck and I hugged him. 

He sat down and leaned himself against me. It was almost as if he was returning the gesture in the best way he could. I felt his strong heartbeat against my own and some part of me just couldn't stop crying from the relief. I pressed my wet face into his fur. 

I heard the front door close softly and then I remembered I wasn't alone. Embarrassed I had cried with an audience for the second time today, I instantly wiped my cheeks clean of tears. They weren't bitter tears, though, they were sweet ones. I leaned back and Finley smiled at me, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth. 

"You're a good boy," I rubbed his ears. 

Someone touched the top of my head and I looked up to see Julian standing beside me. He smiled, though his eyes were tired. "He missed you," He said, "When he was awake, he kept looking towards the door. I think he was expecting you to walk through." 

My heartfelt like it would burst. I had wanted to be there for him, but I was here now, and I wouldn't leave my dog ever again. 

"No growling?" Ezra's voice spoke behind me, and I looked over my shoulder to see him standing much closer than before. Hands tucked in his jean pockets as if he was waiting for Finley to growl. 

I looked back at Finley. He blinked innocently and then a slow tail wag followed. I scooted to the side so that I wasn't sitting between Finley and Ezra. For a moment, the both of them seemed to be waiting. Ezra, more out of disbelief. 

I risked a moment to glance up at Julian, he was smiling a little. 

For the first time since Finley and Ezra met, I watched Ezra squat down and reach a hand towards Finley. I think I was holding my breath because it was the closest they had ever been. Finley instantly accepted the gesture without a growl and Ezra rested his hand on Finley's head.