Chapter Twelve

Two more days passed without a word from Julian. Elle was still holed up in her apartment, stuck in a depression, knowing it was her fault things went bad between them. It was her irresponsibility that led to the broken trust in their relationship – even though they really didn't have a relationship. She just didn't know what else to call it.

Her insecurities wouldn't allow her to call or text him again after getting no response the first few times. She wasn't going to act desperate over it – even though all she felt was an aching desperation, a need for him. She wanted him to come around when he was ready to. But there was a fear inside of her that almost made her certain he wouldn't ever find himself ready to forgive her.

...

She woke up to a barrage of loud, frantic knocks on her apartment door. It was still dark out – the sun wasn't even up. Everything at that hour left her confused. Before she could really even comprehend what was happening, another set of knocks ripped through the stillness of her apartment just as the ring tone on her phone blared out, startling her completely.

"Jesus fucking Christ," she grumbled as she sat up, throwing off the blankets, sending a chill through her whole body.

She fumbled for her glasses on her nightstand, pushing them on her face as she looked down to see Charlie's face flashing across the screen of her phone. What was with this dude and calling her at the butt-crack of dawn?

She turned on her bedside light and answered the phone in the same instance.

"What is it, Charlie?" She grumbled into the receiver as she ran her fingers through the mess of hair on her head.

"Elle, are you home? Let me in. I need to show you something," he said quickly, sounding all too riled up for five o'clock in the morning.

She almost forgot there was someone knocking on her apartment door. Almost.

"Jeez. Calm down. I'm coming," she mumbled as she meandered toward the door.

Without warning, Charlie ended the call and she pulled the phone away from her ear. He sure was acting crazier than usual.

"What is going on?" She asked, opening the door to his frantic looking face.

"Were you sleeping? Have you been online?" He asked immediately, not letting her answer before he continued on, whizzing past her into her apartment.

"Uh, what is going on?" She asked him, feeling shell-shocked with his intense mood.

He finally stopped, looking straight at her before he sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"It's none of my business what you and Julian do together, Elle..." He began.

Her eyes went wide as her mouth dropped slightly open at the mention of her sexual relationship with Julian. She tried to push back the negative thoughts, hoping Charlie wasn't going to say what she thought he was going to say – that her worst fears weren't about to be realized.

"W-what are you talking about?" She stammered as she closed the apartment door.

"There's pictures, Elle – of you and Julian," he told her.

"Pictures?" She choked out, feeling her whole body start to tingle with apprehension.

He paused, giving her a look of sympathy – and she knew. She knew exactly what pictures he was talking about.

"Naked pictures... of you," he confirmed, looking pained that he had to be the one to break the news.

"Oh my god," she gasped, feeling her whole world crash down upon her.