Black and White

It was a grimly place, Kcalb’s room. There was no light, there was no trace of color whatsoever. The only color really present was… black. Crows seemed to enlighten themselves to his presence, so perhaps the devil wasn’t entirely lonely; he just wasn’t a social butterfly with the others. He had not yet heard of Emalf’s demise… perhaps it was better for him not to know.

Kcalb frequently sat on a levitating cushion that seemed pretty highly suspended in the air; a table floating along with it. He would sit there for hours on end, contemplating with himself or speaking to Etihw’s voice in his head. Today, however, was different from any other day. It was Valentine’s Day, and of course, he was sure some angels and demons from the garden were going to send him chocolates or cards. Oh, how the devil loved his chocolate.

Pondering to himself while sitting upon his cushion, a figure appeared in the seat parallel to him at the other side of the table. That’s where Etihw sat… no one else was allowed to sit there under his conditions. The devil glanced up to glower at them, before realizing that…

It was Etihw.

“Hi, Kcalb. Long time no see, huh? Ever since the world of pure imagination, right?”

This couldn’t be real. This wasn’t the world of pure imagination! How were they here?! Kcalb nearly began to choke, before the god placed something upon the table- something red- and scooted it closer to the devil with a smile on their face.

“Do you think I would forget your favorite chocolate on a day like Valentine’s Day?”

The devil took the red heart shaped box into his gloved hands; his eyes growing a midnight black showing how flustered he was. The smile the god held did not vanish; it was as if it were tattooed there by years and years of pain from not seeing one another for so long.

“I-Idiot… you didn’t need to bring these to me.”

He complained, before Etihw reclined back with a laugh.

“You would have been all pouty if I didn’t! Come on, I’m god. I know everything.”

There was a silence as Kcalb sat there in embarrassment before it was broken by the sound of the devil gently picking off the tape holding it shut. The other simply watched, before he finally managed to pry the heart shaped lid off of its container. Inside were what seemed to be an endless supply of thin chocolate patties; compressed down so much that there had to be at least a couple hundred in there. The god managed to broaden their smile, if it was even possible, before reaching over to place a hand on his.

“So? What do you think? Pretty generous, huh?”

… He could feel their hand. He could feel the warmth they emitted the moment they came in contact with one another. This wasn’t an apparition? This wasn’t a ghost? This wasn’t an alternate reality? This was all… real? With a shaky breath, the devil closed his eyes and hummed contently.

“Mmmhm.”

Etihw brought themselves forward, almost to where their faces touched. The god held one of the devil’s hands in both of their own, before placing a brief peck on their cheek. Kcalb’s face immediately grew red, and he fumed the instant the god backed away. A snicker was given in exchange for his actions, before they teased him with,

“Come on, you can’t say you didn’t like it.”

“I-It was too sudden! You could have told me you were about to kiss me! I-I wasn’t ready!”

Kcalb was so lovely in the god’s eyes; they couldn’t imagine him being as mean as he was so long ago… it was best not to think about it. The present Kcalb was so much better; he was even super fun to tease! It couldn’t get better than that, could it? When Etihw finally sat back down, Kcalb turned away; picking up one of the chocolate patties and briefly snacking on it.

“When was the last time you’ve eaten?”

Why the question? Not even they knew; it just slipped the god’s tongue, you know? The devil went silent, before giving a brief sigh and glaring at them from where he was turned.

“Weeks. Perhaps months, I have not kept track of time.”

“I wouldn’t either, but weeks?! Months without food?! You- Kcalllb! You’re going to starve yourself to death! Why not ask the nurse for something to eat?!”

The god shot back up and glued their palms to his shoulders; shaking him lightly as to not have him choke on his valentine chocolate. The devil seemed unresponsive; he didn’t seem to care too much on the topic, and Etihw would have called it quits if they didn’t know him as well as they did.

“Something’s on your mind, isn’t it…? Not feeling yourself, is that it? Do you still not believe that I’m… here? Kcalb, you know well enough that I can go wherever I want, whenever I want.”

A growl rose from the devil’s throat; startling the god to some extent.

“You don’t understand, Eti. I destroyed the garden. You died. Everyone is dead but me; I survived because it was me who caused all of the chaos. Eti… it’s impossible for you to be here. You’re… deceased. I cannot talk to the dead, nor can I feel them. You’re an apparition made by the scars I have from that day… I cannot unsee your kindness to me. You are… permanently an obstacle I must be able to overcome on my own. I’m sorry… dear Eti. I cannot look upon your face any further. I’ll be looking at darkness…”

Etihw was nearly brought to tears. That’s… how he felt? That’s how he thought? All these years… it would be impossible for them not to shed a single tear. When their tear dropped upon the table, small white diamonds rose from the material; a vine-like substance shedding over them and molding them into the shape of a small box.

“Kcalb… I… I’m so sorry you feel that way… I miss you, I really do… but from what you’re saying… you’re forcing me away.”

Before he could shoot up and shout at them as they could perceive what was about to happen, the box began to play a melodious tune; keeping the devil stuck in his silence as he listened. Etihw turned to look the other way; letting their tears spill into their lap.

“It’s…”

The devil began, before Etihw cut him off.

“Yeah. I… remember it. All of it. Take it… I’m giving it to you.”

Kcalb reached his hands for the small white music box; cupping it in his hands and holding it close to his heart as he could feel the brail-like dots along the puny cylinder plucking at the small set of brass bristles that created the tune so perfectly and so delicately… it was almost like a harmony.

“Eti…”

Before either one could speak up or continue, Wadanohara ran in through the deranged door; flailing her arms around as if to get the black ooze off of her. Looking up at Kcalb who was sitting suspended in the air with a music box and a box of chocolates, the witch almost collapsed.

“Emalf…! He’s….! He’s gone!”

….

The devil’s last bit of medical sanity was no more.