Losing Life

Kcalb’s body plummeted to the floor; cushioned by a mass of white cotton that appeared out of thin air. Wadanohara rushed towards him, only to be pushed away with a sullen ‘Leave me alone’. She left without another word, leaving the devil to himself, only to check on Samekichi. He was still in her room, and he didn’t seem to have left to go anywhere else for food or such. The scar upon the shark’s face was swelling a bit; seeing as the tissue was growing a red color.

Leaving the doorway to her room to retrieve a bottle of ointment, the nurse quickly withdrew the bottle from the cabinet before retreating to her room, where Samekichi waved a finger to greet her. With a grin, she sat down on the bed to face him. His eyes were a bit red, and he appeared to have something in his pocket (there was a lump in his right jacket pocket). The witch did not question and instead opened the ointment and squeezed a bit onto a q-tip.

“Samekichi, what were you working on? It looked really pretty.”

She chimed, hoping to ignite some form of conversation. The shark had been oddly quiet lately, and she hadn’t checked on his heart to make sure things were okay. Gently dabbing the sensitive area with the ointment, he flinched, before reaching his hand up to gently grasp her wrist.

“I-It’s cold, put it down.”

She shook her head, telling him that he needed this for the rash to go away (as strange as it was getting a rash on a scar…). For the most part, the shark seemed to oblige, and pulled his hand down slowly; fiddling with what looked like a string. Wadanohara leaned forward and placed a kiss on the tip of Samekichi’s nose, watching his face flush with a giggle. The nurse pulled over a few tools to measure his heart beat (which she summoned; magic was so convenient). As much as she knew he hated it, she had to do this; he could die if he didn’t receive enough medicine or treatment.

“Samekichi, I’m really worried about you… do you feel alright?”

The witch felt like she asked this far too many times. Samekichi was probably sick of it, but he didn’t seem to complain. Maybe he knew of her hesitance or her awareness… well, after millennia, it would be easy to tell if one held that much concern, right? Hopefully that was the case; the two were wed.

“I think I’m fine. I’m starting to feel… light headed more often, and… other things.”

He seemed more concerned on keeping that one last bit a secret. He turned his gaze away as she pressed a stethoscope against his chest. … He was unusually cold. Sure, it was winter, but he was bundled under her covers; layered with a tshirt and his super warm jacket (which she had once had the opportunity of wearing). This only raised her concern.

“What are those other things? You have to tell me… I’m here to help you.”

Samekichi’s head dropped after she concluded her sentence; no sound reverberating through the stethoscope. Did he… die?! No! That was… too sudden!! She could feel her screams eating away at her heart; burning her throat as the nurse tried to keep quiet. Before she could even say a peep, a heart beat was picked up by her instrument; his head still dropped, but body moving with his breaths.

“S-Samekichi…! I thought you… … that’s what you didn’t want to tell me… your heart’s getting worse, isn’t it? Oh no… I…”

The shark stayed completely still; Wadanohara pulling her stethoscope back to lift up his chin with her hands. His gaze looked right through, holding an extreme feeling of gloom and overall sorrow. He looked… sorry.

“It’s okay… it’s okay…”

She hummed, bringing him closer as if to hug him, but stopping half way in hesitation. Samekichi gave a sigh, before lightly pushing her away to sit upright. Now that she could fully examine his scar, it didn’t seem to be swollen… in fact, if it were possible to say, it had changed color. Scars couldn’t change color without some sort of disturbance in its healing process. As far as the nurse knew, that couldn’t be the case; Samekichi had that scar since before they met. There was more she had to learn… and fast, if she wanted to preserve the little life source he had left.

“I’ll get you some medicine for your headaches. Take two a day, and you should feel better. … I love you, Samekichi.”

Before the nurse got up to leave and retrieve his ‘prescription’, she planted another kiss upon his face, notably his cheek. He wrapped his arms around her tightly; resting his head in the crook of her shoulder. She welcomed him by embracing him in return, before the two pulled away.

“You should get the medicine.”

Samekichi mumbled, getting a smile from the nurse. Her smiles were so precious… one was not exactly like the other; that’s what made them unique. He adored her smiles… and how badly he wanted to tell her, he couldn’t bring himself to do it. She’d probably heard the same thing so many times, the last thing the shark wanted to do was to annoy her.

Wadanohara left the room before returning momentarily to bestow upon him some pills for him to take to soothe his headaches. With a thank you, she returned the gesture with ‘you’re welcome’, before going back to her post behind the ‘reception desk’ that was rarely ever used. Now that the witch had some time to herself, she could finally put it to use. The medicine cabinets were filed behind her, along with a painting of a crescent moon signed with the name ‘Rosalie’. There were a few machines where the nurse could make drinkable medicines, but often, she would use her powers to make pills (since they were stronger and she didn’t have machines at the ready to do that sort of thing).

The nurse was about to approach a picture of her and her father that she kept upon the desk, before Kcalb began to scream.

.     .    .

I have done something so terribly wrong… I feel so sick… and I can never tell you. I don’t want you to be afraid… I don’t want you to think that I’m taking the path that the rest of my family took; that isn’t the case… I want to live… I want to see that smile stay… I want to see you happy. Everyone around you is disappearing before your eyes, and I don’t want to be one… I want to be with you forever. If I do die, I’ll know I’ve failed as a spouse .I love you too, Wadanohara… never forget that for as long as you live.