Harp... oon

It didn’t feel like a day had passed, and yet it had. It was a few weeks ago when Vendetto was brutally killed and eaten by Idate, and Emalf was growing more secluded by every passing glance; to the point where he refused to come outside or lie a single eye upon the orca. Wadanohara respected his decisions, and if he didn’t come out to eat, she would bring him his meal. It was all she could do, really… well, so she thought.

The day went by fast. It had cooled down consecutively, and the water nearby was nice and warm from the heat of the sun. Samekichi got in a good swim, and Idate merely let his feet dip in the water from the shallow dock. When no one wasn’t looking, he would slowly slide into the water, but not to where he would… go whale. Everyone teased him for that, anyway; that was the last thing he needed. His ‘pal’ used to call his whole orca transformation ‘going whale’ or Shamu, or something insulting like that. It was nice in the water after so long, though… he was thankful he wasn’t one of those orcas who would rather crucify themselves if they couldn’t turn into their orca form on such a wonderful day as this.

Memoca and Ver would play some form of fetch, where Ver would throw a twig and Memoca would go get it; either human or pelican. Wadanohara would keep an eye on everyone, play with a few bunny rabbits, or ride on Samekichi’s back when he offered. Whenever he didn’t, she had the idea that he was swimming at such a rapid pace, she might fly right off. Other times, when he did offer, he would swim rather slowly, either above or below the water.

 When they were under water, the witch would use her magic to form some sort of atmospheric boundary around her so that she could still breathe and move underwater freely. Seeing Samekichi underwater really demonstrated how large he was in this form. Getting this up close and personal to a shark wasn’t the norm, but this was… her husband. She wrapped her arms around him, and he would gently nuzzle her back. What was even better was that he could still talk, so when they were out and about together like this, they could hold conversation with one another.

Emalf refused to go outside. He would stay up in his room and sit there; doing absolutely nothing. Every now and then he would look out his window and see all of them so full of joy… and he would see Vendetto out there too; waving up at him and shouting up at him to come outside. The demon would shake his head rapidly to get rid of the image, and the apparition would fade away as per usual. He would sit back down and think… but today’s thought was one he dwelled on days before. It was all Idate’s fault that Vendetto was gone, right? Well… how would that animal feel if he got back at him? It was the brightest idea he’d had in a long time: murdering Idate. A devious smile crept onto his lips, and he furiously began jotting down ideas in his head and planning.

Night time came around faster than it had any day prior, and everyone was out like a light after playing outside; well, everyone but Idate, who didn’t do much of anything. Emalf was keeping himself awake while he awaited the right time to get him, but it took years for Idate to actually walk out of his room. When the orca was in clear view of the flame demon, he dashed out of his own room; flames in the palm of his hands. With a running start, he pinned the man to the wall by his wrists. Idate looked… startled. Who wouldn’t be after being confronted like that? It wasn’t until he realized it was Emalf did he instantly appear relieved.

“You killed Adauchi!! You killed him! Why?! What did he ever do to you?! Why couldn’t you just leave him alone?! It’s your fault he’s gone! You’re a monster!! You ate him!!”

He pushed his hands down against the other’s wrists repeatedly, only getting a grin from the taller one. The orca didn’t seem fazed in the least… why?! Did he not grieve what he did…? What sort of monster was this guy??

“About time you said something; I knew you would sooner or later. Defending your little flamey friend, hmm? You should know the answer. I would have eaten you all, but… I thought I’d play nice…~”

With a sly smirk, he kneed the demon in the crotch, before nearly teleporting to the exit. He pushed the doors open with ease, and literally surfed down the stairs; Emalf chasing behind him. It didn’t seem like they’d give up any time soon, and the adrenaline was making it so much better with the anticipation. As the two continued to run, the flames the demon had called under his control began to grow, and as they did, he began fusing each bit of flame into sharp weapons, which he hovered around him once they were finished. They appeared to be large harpoon bullets of sorts; spear-like and a smooth edge. The massive amount of flame lit up the dark halls immensely, and upon noticing this, Idate grinned; still running at the high speed he was previously.

Emalf could see the dead end approaching; the orca couldn’t run forever. By the time Idate was about to perhaps run off the wall and do a totally smoking backflip (as the demon predicted), the projectiles he made fired at the man from a distance. Some never managed to reach him, others penetrated through him like a cork board. He fell then and there, and Emalf slowly walked towards him when he noticed the orca squirming around the projectiles like a worm.

“So this… is what you wanted. You’re… pushing your luck there…~”

He cooed, glaring up at the flame demon. Emalf was showing no sign of mercy, and he scoffed, before folding his arms and turning away; putting one foot in front of the other as he began to walk toward the stairs. Idate made no further remark, but the demon muttered,

“I did it for him.”