Chapter 43: Realisation

"So all that time we thought he was hiding in the library from girls, he was really there watching you?" Ginny pondered, brushing a gentle stroke of mascara over her lashes as she gazed into the mirror.

The half moon shone brightly through the small latticed window, providing the three girls with a subtle hue as they got ready for the evening.

"I'd hardly say that Gin" Hermione scoffed through the slightly cracked bathroom door where she changed into her dress as Nell sat on the bed pulling on her shoes.

"Well why else would he have spent hours in there, and coincidentally always be there when you were? He was crushing on you!" She argued giddily, plopping down onto the bed beside Nell who was nodding hastily in agreement.

"Okay.... maybe he was" Hermione sighed gently, pulling back the bathroom door and stepping into the room, sheepishly looking to the floor as Nell agreed with Ginny.

"He so was... oh my god Hermione you look amazing" Nell and Ginny gaped at their friend who stood perfectly illuminated by the bathroom light behind her, her layered periwinkle dress cascading perfectly to her feet.

"Really? You think so?" She smiled shyly, tucking a perfectly curled piece of hair behind her ear.

"Yes! And that dress is incredible" Ginny grinned at the girl who had now settled onto the edge of the bed opposite them, all three of them now in their dresses for the ball.

"Thanks guys, you two look beautiful" Hermione beamed back at her two dressed up friends, the three of them looking particularly ethereal under the moonlight.

"I guess we do scrub up kind of well, don't we?" Nell laughed, patting down on her eggshell dress, flattening out the delicate white flowers stitched into the soft mesh.

"Oh yeah, and Luna is going to die when she sees you Ginny" Hermione grinned, as the redhead blushed almost as red as her gown.

"It's a shame about the no champions going together thing because I know Cedric would love a dance Nell" Hermione teased, turning her head to the girl with a suggestive wink who just whacked on her the arm as the other two erupted into laughter.

"Okay so we're ready?" Nell said, jumping up from the bed, now laughing herself.

"Think so" Ginny breathed, looking around the room as if to check for something they might have forgotten.

"Let's go then" Hermione grinned, dragging Ginny up with her as the three made their way out of the dorm, their schoolgirl giggles echoing down the staircase as they went.

Seeing as they were one of the last ones to leave for the hall, they quickly made their way out of the common room and in the direction of the ball, passing the occasional snogging couple or whispering groups of friends on the way.

"I'll see you guys in there" Ginny said as they reached a fork in the hallway, knowing she would need to go around and sneak in the back seeing as she was only in third year.

Waiting for her slightly down the left path of the hallway, stepping gently from foot to foot on the spot was a content looking Luna Lovegood. Her icy hair trawling in natural scraggy waves down her shoulders, landing on the top of her green and red dress, made up of layers and layers of feathers in the two colours, piled over the dainty girl.

Nell and Hermione saw a adoring smile tug at Ginny's lips as she saw her date waiting for her clearly in a delightful world of her own. A similar smile came across Luna as she saw Ginny coming over to her, before they disappeared hand in hand round the corner, Luna skipping gently beside her date.

After sharing a giddy look for their friend, the two remaining girls made their way down the right path in the hallway, before they reached the staircase down towards the great hall.