Chapter 61: Few More Days

As the days got warmer, lighter, longer and deeper into the summertime, Nell knew she couldn't stay in her bubble of ignorance forever. That lying between her sheets and oblivion simply wouldn't be a lasting option, and was becoming less and less of one with each passing day.

No one had asked her to discuss the events of that night, in fact she knew they were avoiding the subject for her sake entirely, but she also knew that that couldn't last. That as much as they assured her she could take as long as she needed, she had a responsibility to fulfil. Dumbledore for starters, she was certain would want to know what happened from her point of view and the 'Order' that she had heard her fathers whispering about when they thought she wasn't near. And far above all else, Cedric. She owed it to Cedric.

But for now she just kept telling herself the same thing. A few more days. They can last without the information for a few more days. But then a few more days morphed into a few weeks, into a month, until eventually another full moon had passed. And she was still yet to relive that night.

At the Potter's, sat in the garden, a few more days she told herself.

A few more days.

A few more days before recalling Cedric's lifeless body in her mind, before facing the fact that Voldemort wanted something from her and before accepting things were changing for the worse. But she was far too busy grieving and worrying about their approaching end to enjoy those few more days.

"Do you want another drink darling?"

Lily's voice had her snapping out of her head, a place where she'd been a lot lately, in fact it seemed over the lass few months Nell had been spending most of her time inside of her own head. It had become rather suffocating in fact.

It was only now that Nell realised her glass had tipped slightly from where it sat in her lap, sending the water dribbling onto the patio floor until the cup ran dry. Shaking her head politely at her godmother, she mustered up a small smile before gazing down from the now empty glass she clasped in her hands to the puddle on the ground.

It was a nice day, warm, with only a slight mist hovering in the air, just enough so that the sunlight caught on its surface in casting beams.

The entire family was in the garden taking advantage of the sun, Sirius and Lily sunbathing on the grass with Remus picking absentmindedly at the weeds as he read crossed legged beside them, book in hand. And James and Lucas chasing something or other round the garden. Perhaps a gnome or each other, Nell wasn't watching closely enough to be sure.

And she, well she was sat in a chair in the shade, staring aimlessly down into an empty glass, her mind somewhere else entirely. And Harry was right beside her, pulling at the fraying edge of his chair, his mind similarly lost.

To onlookers they may have portrayed the look of a normal family, outside together on a summers day, seemingly content smiles on their faces. But with a closer look one would soon see that that wasn't the case at all.

The supposedly relaxed adults kept casting worried glances back at their children who hardly seemed to be present at all. And that mist, that beautiful cloudy hue hovering so gently, was in reality a warning, a lingering reminder that something sinister was brewing in the shadows at this very moment, boiling and rising until it finally bubbled over. But the consequence wouldn't be as simple as a spill of water on the patio, it would be war.

"Actually Mum... I think we'll head inside" Harry spoke for the pair of teenagers and the parents shared a not so subtle worried glance, but nonetheless nodded.

"Okay, let us know if you need anything sweetheart" Lily said gently, all four adults watching the two get up and slip inside the house.

They made their way into the kitchen, not entirely sure why, but then again many of their actions lacked intention these days. Harry leant himself against the table as Nell pulled a glass out the cupboard, turning on the tap and filling it up, before resting one hand against the sink whilst tipping it down her throat. As it turned out she had been rather thirsty. Her mouth was dry from the warm air and the water she should have been drinking ended up on the floor.