Chapter 3: Pathways and Tears

"And you guys have a test next we-" 

DING* 

Music to my ears, the school bell. That mean't no more math. Just because I am a excellent student doesn't mean I enjoy school. It's torture, actual torture. 

"Ready to go home princess?" Dylan exited his class at the same time I exited mine. He put his arm around me as if I was going to get lost again. Which isn't going to be a problem since everyone stopped in their tracks and moved to the side of the Hall. Giving us a pathway. I shoved his arm away. It was mostly all the girls of the school making way for us and whispering as we reached the end of the hall, 

"They're probably fucking" 

"He's just using her" 

"Already? Isn't it his first day?" 

"Miss Ally was quite eager I see. Just wait until Hardin hears about this" 

For some reason this reminded me of that scene in Grey's Anatomy. When jo made all the men clear the floor and told all the women to line up against the hospital walls for that patient. Except no one was sexually harassed and raped of course. Not that I know of. 

I snapped out of my gaze when I realized Dylan was talking to me, "I'm sorry what?" 

He chuckled and repeated  himself ,"Who's Hardin?". He obviously heard what all the sluts were saying as we walked down the hallway. 

I let out a sigh, "My ex boyfriend". He raised his eyebrow as we parted ways around my car. Once we got in he said, "Why is he your ex boyfriend?" 

"He cheated on me" I blurted out. Why would you say that you don't even know him! 

His eyes try to meet with mine but I pretended I didn't notice as I put my seat belt on. 

"Well that's his loss. What a fucking idiot. Your hot you know, who did he cheat on you with?" his tone of voice wasn't playful anymore. He sounded angry and annoyed. 

"Seat belt.... He cheated on my with my Melissa" I whispered that last part as I drove out of the schools parking lot. 

He was silent. He knew why Hardin cheated on me. I mean it was Melissa, and I don't exactly have fake boobs so. 

"asshole" he muttered under his breath.  I laughed at that which caused him to smile. 

*********************

Later on that evening I was in my room, there was a knock at my door.  What does he want now. I rolled my eyes, "Come in!" 

The door slightly opened and Dylan peeked his head in, "Aww man. I was really hoping you were naked" 

I threw a pillow at him, "What do you want Ruthbee" 

He opened the door fully so I could now see his whole body. He grabbed the back of his neck and rubbed it as he looked at the ground. Which was cute. No it wasn't, stop that. 

"Do you maybe wanna watch a movie or something?" he slowly looked up at me. 

"Umm sure. What movie did you want to watch" 

I got up to head out my room and he followed me. I headed towards the kitchen to get snacks and a whole bunch of junk food that I hid from my parents. They'll eat anything that's in arms reach. 

"Umm not sure you can pick"  

"Okay" I said firmly. 

 There was a moment of comfortable silence and he said, "'Maybe 'okay' will be our always'". While looking at me. 

I felt my heart race faster. "I'm guessing you want to watch 'The Fault in Our Stars'"  

He nodded and we headed up to his room since the guest room has the bigger t.v. 

We both sat up, shoulder to shoulder as we rented the movie.  He snatched the bag of Doritos away from me. "Hey!" 

"Hey!" he mocked me. I rolled my eyes at him and snatched the bag of Doritos back from him. 

During the middle of the movie I heard sniffling and I knew it was not me. I turned over to see Dylan crying. 

"Are you crying?" I laughed.  He shook his head no. 

"This isn't even the sad part!" I laughed once more. I realized he wasn't crying because of the movie. I grabbed the remote and paused the movie. 

"..hey" I said softly as I rested my hand on his bicep. 

He looked up to me and cried harder. I was shocked, I've never seen a guy my age cry in front of me. 

"I'm not that ugly you know" I frowned my eyebrows, trying to make him laugh. It sort of worked because he cracked a smile. 

"You okay?" I cupped his face. He nodded yes but tears were still rolling down his face. 

"I miss them, I never got to say bye to them....All because I was in Juvie for a fucking year. One year" he wiped away his tears and he was now getting angry. 

"You can't blame yourself for what happened to them, that's not how that works"

"I know. I just wish I wasn't such a fuck up" 

"You're not Dylan" I assured him. I wasn't lying, everyone makes mistakes here and there. Some people make mistakes their whole life, and others rarely make mistakes. 

He layed down on his back and I did the same next to him. We just layed there looking up at the ceiling, watching the fan spin around and around and around.  

He put his right arm over my head, telling me to lift my head up. I did, and there we layed hugging. In silence.