0

For twenty years of my life, my family made sure I knew the air I breathed was because of them. 

Everything I did, was as a way to repay them for giving me the "life of luxury" that most people could only dream of. 

I tried my best to make a name for myself without using the last name that came with my life. No wonder my mother left my father when I was only 4 years old. It's one thing to be blood related to the Hyuga name, but to be married into it? 

I'm surprised more of my family's in-laws didn't leave like my mother did. Then again, why would they? 

To be married to a Hyuga is like being married to the kings/queens of the culinary world. They owned more than 100 restaurants around the world, each having the legendary 3 Michelin star that any chef could only hope for in their entire career. 

I should be grateful for it all. I could get in anywhere just by the mere mention of my surname. 

That's not the life I want to walk.

No. Those shortcuts might be fitting to some people but not to me. I don't want that for myself; even though I was set to inherit the entire business when my father stepped down from his position as president of it all.

The only thing that ties me to the Hyugas is my passion for cooking. I'm glad that's one talent I inherited from my family. Other than that, the business, the money, the corruption...it isn't worth it. 

"I just want to cook, Father." I bit my lip. "Is that too much to ask?" 

The man in front of me sighed, loudly. "What do you want me to do? You're the eldest of the main branch of the Hyuga family. You are supposed to inherit this entire business, Hinata. This is what you were supposed to do!"

"I know, but I really." I stopped. "I really don't care for the business side of it."

Father covered his eyes real quick. "You're putting me in quite a predicament, daughter."

"I apologize, Father. I don't want to bring you any trouble but I don't think I can sit in an office and just go through...business things all day. I-it's just not what I want to do with my life." I gripped the envelope in my hand. "I want to get back into the kitchen, again. I'm not here to ask for a position at any of the Byakugan restaurant. I just..." 

Why am I trying so hard?

Growing up, my father has done anything but be understanding when it came down to what I want. He scared me.

A whole lot.

And a part of me didn't want to let him down. My little sister was the prodigy child. She was the rebel, the loud one that instantly voiced how much she didn't want to get into the culinary business. That's probably why she was lucky enough to attend law school in the States and I'm stuck here, in Japan, behind a desk all day listening to other companies try to form some sort of partnership with us.

I don't want that anymore. 

I took a step forward, and placed the envelope on his desk with a low bow. "I truly am sorry, Father. I know I am a disappointment to you. Here is my letter of resignation from the company."

"I refuse to accept it." He growled at me.

Saw that one coming. "Please, Father -"

"Hinata." Father finally leaned back in his chair. "I know growing up, I was particularly hard on you but that was because you have so much potential..."

"I believe in that, Father. However, excuse me for speaking out here but I do not believe my potential is behind some desk or in long business meetings." I said, as confidently as I could. "It's behind a knife, in front of a stove or even in front of a deep fryer. So please, Father." I attempted to slid the envelope closer to him. "Please, let me do what I want to do."

His pearl eyes met mines with such intensity that I almost backed down and ran away. I became aware of my body almost shivering under the pressure the exerted. My hands, now wrapped around the other, tightened in anticipation.

"I will not accept your letter of resignation." He held up a finger when I tried to protest. I shut my mouth and waited for him to finish.

"As your president, I do not wish to see you go and I should keep you here. Make you work the overtime for even thinking you could leave this job." His voice laced with ice so cold, I had to wrap myself tighter in my vest.

"But." Then he heavily sighed. "As your father, I don't want you to waste an unhappy life here if it isn't for you. I was already a failure of a father towards you growing up. I tried to make up for it by letting Hanabi do what she desired but I know that is no way to atone for my sins with you." 

"Dad -"

The president held up his finger again. "While I will accept you resigning from the CEO position, I will not let you resign from this company completely, understood?"

I blinked.

Huh?

"You are assigned as the head chef at the Byakugan restaurant in Konoha."