1

"Are you seriously going to compete in that stupid competition?" My girlfriend's sheering voice pierced his already annoyed persona.

I only heavily sighed. "Baby, I have to -"

"Ugh, I knew I should've listen to my father. But no, I wanted to rebel and date someone who isn't even worth my time." I heard her sigh, as if I was nothing but a heavy burden on her shoulder. 

"Shion -"

"Forget it, Naruto. This is goodbye. Lose my number and move on with whatever you have to do with your pathetic life."

The buzz of the call ending was already numbing.

It's whatever at this point. I slid my phone back into the inside of my suit jacket pocket. It wasn't like she understood that this is something I needed to do.

I did.

I owed it to my late father to keep his legacy alive. I had already turned my back on my family's restaurant once when I decided to go to school in the states which ultimately led to dropping out two years in and working two jobs every single day to just survive and continuously pay for my father's so-called legacy to keep its doors open; even when there was nothing of it left.

My jaw clenched in guilt. When I finally returned to Japan to check in, I saw the disaster that was left of it. My father's restaurant; what once was the hot spot in downtown Konoha is nothing more than a filthy cage with empty chairs and dirty walls. The one waiter working was even cutting his toe nails right by the register. He didn't even recognize me as the owner of the establishment and when he did, he spat at my feet.

"You should pay us more to care about this shit shack." Was all he said before I dismissed him.

That's when I had enough. 

Cooking with Dad was always a memory I clung onto dearly. After he passed, I couldn't bring myself to focus on culinary arts just as Dad wished for me. It hurt...each and every time I picked up a chef's knife without my father chuckled beside me correcting me on me form. He envisioned us to be the world-famous cooking father-son duo in our own 5-star restaurant. 

It was just the two of us. I never knew his mother since...well, I was the reason she wasn't alive. However, Dad always spoke about her majestic face; how her smile illuminated great warmth into him every time she was ask to try one of his new dishes. 

It pained me, seeing the state of my father's pride and joy in shambles. So I did what I should've done a while ago. 

I went to culinary school and graduated top of my class. The only issue now is the student debts that ensued. My godfather was furious when he found out I didn't call him for any financial support. After all, it was his job now. 

But I'm a 25 year old man. I need to do this on my own.

All on my own...

Though, that alone is impossible.

Everybody in the culinary industry knows that schooling is just the tip of the iceberg. To be even somewhat successful, you'd have to trained with someone well-known in the culinary world. For example: Gordon Ramsey, Masaharu Morimoto...

I want to make his dreams come true. That's why I'm standing in front of Konoha Convention Center where one of the biggest culinary competitions in Japan were being held. 

Grand prize?

The top 3 cooks gets a chance of a lifetime: receive a 2-year long mentorship with one of three of the world's infamous chefs. 

That means the chefs get to work alongside these legends in their kitchens for 2 whole fucking years! 

Though these chefs' identities remain a mystery.