2

"Why does she always gotta show us up like this?" a small smile decorated my face when I heard Shikaku-sensei's comment. While my skills will never match his or Kakashi-sensei's, I am only popular because of my age. Others have said it's also because of my looks but I highly doubt that's the case.

I don't see myself as a woman that would come close to meeting any sort of beauty standards given my hobbies. I prefer simple and straightforward; whatever is comfortable enough to produce the best dishes for my peers.

That's all that matters.

That hasn't stopped many of these men and even women from trying to 'wow' me (according to Shikaku-sensei) the entire time. They must have half a mind to think that I would ever allow them an apprenticeship if they came here pursuing some sort of relationship.

With my new position down at the restaurant and being apart of this stupid competition, I hardly have enough time to think of such tedious things like romance.

Besides, there's no point in it anymore.

"Hyuga-san, are you ready?" The producer caught my attention.

I merely nodded, sucking in a breath.

"Chef Hinata Hyuga!"

The lights are blinding.

The noise of the cheers are numbing.

But I froze.

A little unexpected given the temperature of so many light bleeding through my skin. The security barrier I've been carrying around all day blared in my mind.

Isn't that...

I didn't even register ever catching glimpse of him this entire time. But there he was: front and to my right, gawking as I strolled in.

Those stunning cerulean eyes, the sun-colored hair, the odd but yet attractive whisker birth marks on a mature face. His jawline is more angular which helped radiate the masculinity that came with his brooding nature.

Then those very same eyes flashed a look of recognition and I can almost see his nostrils flare up as his mind registered my name.

Yes.

It's me...

Naruto Uzumaki.

That girl from grade school, middle school and high school that stuck by your side as a friend who you needed to turn to. The same friend that accidentally crossed the boundary no friend should and...

I clenched my hands on my side, keeping the camera-smile on my face.

I cannot walk myself down that dark history any longer. My entire adolescents into adulthood was dictated by those horrible feelings that haunted me each waking moment and danced around as nightmares when I closed my eyes.

I can't...let him have this power over me. A power that I gave to him because I thought he felt the same way.

Not again.

I'm much stronger now. I have more walls I built over the years to make myself live a life without him.

And I did.

I am the Hinata Hyuga.

I worked so hard to get here; to be respected. I grew out of every single bad habit I had to look confident enough to take on any competitor that stood in my way.

I am going to do the same to him.

I met his gaze just once more, this time hoping he would absorb in the feeling of disgust I'm trying to convey. He flinched and looked away.