CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

December 2nd — Friday night

You haven't been able to concentrate on almost anything since Monday afternoon. Your mind keeps replaying the sounds that would escape your mouth, the sight of Spencer's hair sticking to his forehead, his breathing trailing down your body.

It's driven you mad, but you've allowed it to drive you insane because it's the only way you don't think about how hell school is. Most teachers have knocked you upside your head with stacks of studying and you're completely over it. You have two weeks left until winter break and you cannot wait to get every exam done with.

You've been notified that your theatre class will not have an exam, but you have five other classes to worry about now, meaning your days will be full of studying until every brain cell in your head is fried off. You've been locked in your room reading stacks of books but it's Friday now and you need to take a break.

You crawl over your backpack and copious amounts of books sprawled out across your comforter. You hop off of the bed, bones cracking and popping in almost every part of your body. You've been hunched over with your legs crossed since you got home from school and you've just now gotten out of the small cell you created. You place your hand on your hip and twist your body, earning a loud crack in your back.

You smile in satisfaction, doing the other side to complete the satisfactory feeling. You follow along with your arms and knuckles, turning the room into the inside of a microwave each time a popcorn kernel pops. You finish cracking every finger and head to your closet, choosing to get dressed for no one but yourself in the moment.

You know you want to go somewhere, ice cream maybe, not on your own of course, but you'd like to get dressed for your own enjoyment.

Lately you've been infatuated with dresses— especially the ones with puffy sleeves that make you look like a princess. But you've also been obsessed with fishnets and the pairing of dresses with fishnets and heavy boots. You've dressed in those types of outfits lately and you feel more like yourself. Though, Virginia is becoming colder and wearing such outfits will cause you to die of hypothermia. But you don't care, you think looking amazing comes with a price, and you assume it will be freezing until you cannot stand up.

You pull open the tall oak door and search through your currently clean closet. You haven't bothered looking for an outfit to take to school lately. You've popped into school wearing Spencer's sweaters and jeans or leggings, plain converse of some kind on your feet. You've grabbed a couple articles of clothing but nothing to disturb the cleanliness. This will be your first actual time.

You run your fingers along the colorful hangers, clicking your tongue as you look through for the perfect dress. You've ordered too much clothing online and it's starting to bunch up together; it's difficult to take out a hanger without messing with the other clothes dropping to the floor.

A black dress with a sweetheart neckline and thin straps catches your eye, the color standing out besides the different shades of black. You carefully slide the dress off of it's clothing hanger and rest it on your forearm, pushing the hanger back into it's tight spot. You close the old wooden closet door and move to your dresser, opening the first drawer to grab your fishnets. They have small diamond shaped holes and they're extremely long, almost made for someone ten times your height.

You grab the thin folded up material and keep it in the palm of your hand. You've heard girls wear fishnets with no socks on overtop when they wear shoes, but that makes you strangely uncomfortable to imagine. The sweat and grime and blisters on top of blisters you receive from wearing doc martens make you uneasy; they shouldn't be worn without socks.