CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

(couple of chapters left of teen rebellion)*

__________

You have never been the biggest fan of valentine's day.

The roses, the variety of chocolate that is consumed by couples in every spot of land. They don't leave any area vacant, it's as if that's their goal. And maybe that is their goal.

Or maybe it isn't the couples that occupy every available space, it's the fact that you've been single for every Valentine's Day since you were born except for this year. You've always been off to the side this time of year, keeping your jet black sunglasses on despite the weather being gloomy, only to blind yourself from the wet kisses and cringe worthy actions like strawberries between the lips, couples biting into them and laughing their asses off.

Although you've had a strong dislike towards the nationwide holiday, you've found yourself loving it lately. You see the red suckers on display everywhere you go, the crimson hearts and arrows and beautiful teddy bears strung around stores and your mouth gapes open, your heart fluttering in desire for one of each. You never felt this way, and it is most likely because you've never had someone who would be willing to buy you them.

Well, that is partially true. You've had Penelope who gifts you baskets filled with chocolate, gummy worms, teddy bears, essentially an entire package to spend your day eating and crying over your singleness. For the past years, you've spent the day strictly alone, free of Spencer and Sunny because they've always had someone to spend it with.

Last year, Spencer spent the year with a charter school girl from across town and Sunny spent it with a mysterious girl by the name of Cindy from his job. They asked if you wanted to tag along with them, but that would have made you a "third wheel" in the context of two couples, four people who would probably make out in one another's car after the date. You physically gagged at the thought, immediately turning them down to stay in your room with somber films on your television.

You did have a neighbor- Alex. He lived in the house Luke now inhabits. He was an interesting fellow; he drew, painted, played the ukulele and guitar, smoked cigarettes, drank alcohol with you on the curb every weekend. You enjoyed his company on valentines day, especially last year.

That Sunday, you planned on staying home because you were aware of your friend's plans. You weren't going to disturb them on their frisky missions, therefore you cooped up in your bed and began your binge on romantic films. It was quite boring after some time, which is a word you would never use when watching heart seizing movies, but it truly was.

You had watched Ten Things I Hate About You and Buffalo 66 dozens of times before and while you had no issue rewatching them to quote each line one by one, you desperately needed a change.

So when you heard the sound of Alex's strumming guitar, you jolted from your bed and took a trip to his house. There were no cars in the driveway except for his red 90's mustang, meaning that his parents were gone, just like yours.

You knocked on his door and he opened thirty seconds later, a smile on his pale face, dark brown hair laying wet on his forehead. He never smiled but when you were together, it magically plastered on his face and you made no efforts to stop him.

Alex was reserved. He never left the vicinity of his home unless it was for groceries or to the auto shop where he worked. He was a homebody, to say the least, and that's why you adored him.

He was able to keep secrets too, just like the one that consisted of you and him making out in his red mustang while listening to a mixture of R&B and jazz. You didn't do that on Valentine's day, but it was what was happening between you two during your mid-junior year.