Chapter 8: To Make him Smile

(A/N: sHITS ABOUT TO GET REAL PLOT HEAVY- HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS-)

It was another work morning for the two attorneys. They're date night has been absolutely wonderful. So much so that the defense had dreamt about it. Perhaps this is why he'd woken up in such a peppy, bubbly mood. One that his husband would soon find to be quite contagious.

The prosecutor awoke to his spiky-haired husband sitting on top of him, leaning over him with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Gah!" Miles jolted a bit in shock, causing his betrothed to snort and break out in laughter.

"My! You frightened me!" Exclaimed the prosecutor as he rose up and kissed the defense attorney's forehead, causing the man to giggle once more.

"So babe, what're we gonna do today?"

Miles raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Well my dear, I assume that we'll both be going to work, will we not?" He titled his head slightly, giving a soft smile. Phoenix's smile turned into a slightly disappointed frown when he remembered that today was a work day.

"Oh yeah, I completely forgot.." He said in a soft mumble.

"Come now my dear, don't look so dejected." Miles clasped his husband's face in his hands. "I will need to review a case with you later!"
This caused the defense attorney to grin with joy.
"I can't wait~" Phoenix kissed his husband excitedly and hugged him close

-Time Skip-

Miles walked into his office. He was in a fairly good mood as he was still thinking about his husband.

"Hey, Boss!" The big gruff man greeted his boss enthusiastically.
Miles was off in his own world, it seemed. He was daydreaming about his husband as he walked to his desk smiling. He was so distracted that he bumped into it.

"Oof-!" Miles chuckled awkwardly as he finally acknowledged Gumshoe.

"Ah, good morning, Gumshoe." The prosecutor smiled. Gumshoe tilted his head, completely oblivious. "You look happy, sir!"

Miles laughed, nodding as he looked down at his feet sheepishly. "Of course... How could I not be when thinking about that foolish man.." Miles grabbed a glass from his desk, extracting a bottle from his brief case and began to pour himself a glass of wine.

Gumshoe pretty much instantly knew who he was talking about. "Ooooh! That Nick fellow! Your guy friend!"
Edgeworth tried not to snicker at the term "guy friend." He didn't want to further confuse the poor, dopey man.

"Oh, erm sir? I need to tell you somethin'... Your former mentor... He's um... He's out of jail today. He's on parole..."

Miles instantly froze. Thousands of traumatic and daunting memories began to flood his mind all at once. Manfred Von Karma, the man who let Edgeworth believe he was responsible for the death of his own father, a free man. His breathing became shallow, beads of sweat following suit.

"Sir...? Are you okay.

"I..." The prosecutor swallowed hard before giving a shaky response.

"Yes, I am f-fine..."

Miles looked frantically for his phone, making a mess of mess as well as dumping out his brief case. As the cellphone fell out of the bag, the prosecutor reached for it, stopping himself abruptly.