Chapter 4: Case Files and Wine

It was about mid afternoon when Miles had entered his husband's office. He saw the spiky-haired male sitting with his head in his hands, exhaling somewhat loudly.

"Phoenix, are you alright?"

The defense attorney's head shot up, he stared at his husband for a quick second before realizing that it even WAS his husband. The poor man was terribly exhausted, caught up in case files and court proceedings. "Would you like some help, dear?" Miles asked tenderly, a tone of concern ringing throughout his voice. "Please, if you don't mind." Phoenix let out a small sigh of relief. It was rather consoling that he had someone who didn't mind at all to help him out. The prosecutor sat down on the couch next to his husband, picking up a stack of files and organizing them meticulously. There was a small period of silence between the two, before Miles interrupted with what could be seen as rather good news.

"Oh, Phoenix. I almost forgot," Miles leaned down and grabbed something out of bag he'd brought with him. The prosecutor withdrew two wine glasses and a bottle of Chardonnay from within the bag. "I've brought some wine for us! You should have some dear, it'll help us to relieve some stress." Phoenix smiled widely and nodded, getting a chuckle as a response from his lover. Miles poured the Chardonnay into the glasses and the two picked them up with care. Phoenix turned to his husband, noticing the man was holding up a wine glass with a slight smirk on his face. "To us." The prosecutor said lovingly. The defense attorney smiled softly in return, raising his glass and clinking it against Miles's glass. The two men slowly sipped their wine every once in awhile, periodically after organizing a few papers at a time.

Although it had seemed like a lot, the two lawyers were done in no time. Unanimously, they sighed in relief, laying back on the couch.
"I'm so glad that's over." Phoenix said, seeming more relaxed than he had in ages. The prosecutor nodded in agreement as the two laid back against the couch, sipping from their glasses more often than they did while working. It didn't take long for the two men to get slightly tipsy. After they'd finished their wine and their work, they were exhausted. Before they knew it, they were dead asleep on the couch, snuggled up to each other.

The spiky-haired defense attorney was the first to wake. He shot up quickly, only to look down and see the prosecutor asleep on his chest. Phoenix chuckled softly and gently shook his husband. Miles awoke with a start, hyperventilating slightly.

"Did I scare you..?"
"No Phoenix, it wasn't you... You see, I've had another nightmare about... My father's death."
The defense attorney's expression turned from that of concern to sympathy and synonymous pain for his lover. "I'm so sorry, Miles... But you don't have to worry or be afraid anymore. It's all over now..." Miles didn't seem to want to continue the conversation, he picked up a book and began reading intently. The prosecutor felt his husband's arms wrap around him tenderly. "Please dear," began Miles. "It's hard to stay enthralled with my reading when you do things like this." "Miles, you have to face what happened. Trust me, after we all discovered the truth about your father, I noticed a lot of progress in your road to recovery, but we still need to talk about these things or you'll never be able to fully heal." Miles sighed, giving in and turning to the defense attorney. He placed his hand into Phoenix's, grasping it tightly before discussing everything that was bothering him after all these year. Phoenix paused, seeming deep in thought. "Let's go home, okay babe? Then after a nice, warm shower, you and I can do some breathing exercises, alright?" Miles nodded, smiling sweetly. A cathartic relief feeling him knowing that he had someone who cared for him so deeply.

(A/N: Hey guys! I'm sorry this is so short. I've been having a bit of writers block recently. Nonetheless, I hope you've enjoyed this, and I promise I'll try to update again soon.)