5. Cielo

Dominic’s droll comment had become oddly prophetic as we stopped at one of the few traffic lights in the town. The windowfront of the corner building, a bakery, was lit with color and light. Even if it hadn’t been for the sparkling decorations adorning the front of the shop, the building proper would have still stood out. Its bright green was blatant among the rest of the buildings, painted in deep reds and sharp white.

I leaned across the seat of the truck to get a better look, grinning at what I saw. Cakes and cookies were laid out for anyone passing by, covered in purple and blue frosting that twinkled with edible glitter. Stars and planet decorations were pressed to the window, and as I watched, a small light made a show of a comet passing across the top. It was apparently the owner’s homage to the upcoming celestial event, and it made me laugh.

“Good Lord, he’s gone too far this time,” Dominic muttered.

I grinned wide. “I think it’s lovely.”

“Only because it matches your clothes.”

Normally, I might have taken the attempt at criticism to heart. Yet something about Dominic’s gruffness made it impossible for me to take him too seriously. He was like a grumpy old man, sitting on his porch and waving his cane at any kid who dared to get too loud near his property. It was a little bit of a show in my opinion, and I only shot him a wink, which he promptly ignored.

In the fashion I’d come to expect from him, I was dragged into the only department store in town. Within minutes of being in the store, Dominic had picked a set of overalls and tall rubber boots and had them up to pay for them. I looked over the clothes, wondering if maybe I could make a new statement back in New York with the look. I was sure I could do something with the denim overalls, to make them a little more interesting. It was something to consider for future projects.

The oddest part however, was on our return. The townspeople who spotted Dominic’s truck all raised their hands in greeting. Without missing a beat, he returned the gesture, smiling at them. Every single greeting and the well wishes thrown his way seemed completely genuine, and I watched in amazement. Typically direct attention on the street from strangers was something I’d learned to avoid in the city, but then again, I doubted the people greeting Dominic were strangers.

The trip back to the orchard was made in silence, as most of our meal had been, save for the radio. Yet it had been turned down making it indistinguishable from the rest of the noisy truck’s groans and the howl of the wind as Dominic drove.

When he parked, he glanced at me. “Go get those clothes on and meet me in the orchard. I’m going to need to show you how this works.”

I wanted to ask what we’d be doing, but he was already out of the truck and heading for the rows of trees. Shaking my head, I took my work clothes and headed for the house. As much as I’d been tempted by the idea, I realized, after having put them on, that there was no way I could ever make rubber boots fashionable. There was bound to be something I could do with the overalls, but the boots were an absolute lost cause.

Dominic was waiting near a ladder, brow raised. “Couldn’t figure out which boot went on which foot?”

I looked down. “Couldn’t figure out if the legs of the overalls should go in the boots or over. It’s freezing out here.”

“Once you get to working, you won’t even notice the cold. Now come here, and I’ll show you how to pick an apple.”

I laughed. “You just… pick them off, right?”

He turned. “Really? Do you know how to tell a ripe apple from one that should sit for a little while longer?”

“I’m guessing the ripe ones are red.”