16. Dominic

The crowd was too thick for me to make out any particular face. I searched carefully, trying to move quickly as I walked between groups of people. My thoughts pounded with everything that had happened over the past week, and my parting words to Cielo.

There had to be a chance I could make everything better. Barring that, I felt I had to at least make an attempt to make sure Cielo knew he wasn’t to blame. He wasn’t to blame for anything, he was sweet, earnest, and the kindest person I had ever known. If I didn’t at least ensure he knew the real truth, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to live with myself.

The people, both those from the local county, and from all over the country, were making it difficult, however. I cursed the celestial event for its timing, and mostly myself for being so stupid. It was next to impossible to guess where Cielo was seated. My only chance was to hope that somehow he and his friends stood out among everyone else.

My hope rose when I heard an unusually loud laugh coming from a group of trees. Careful to not kick up any blankets or bump into anyone, I hurried toward the sound. There were enough lanterns and flashlights for me to make out the faces of the three people sharing a bottle as they laughed merrily. The man’s face I recognized, but as I glanced around, I realized Cielo was nowhere near them.

Fear and disappointment pounded through me as I searched the nearby area desperately. It couldn’t be possible that he wouldn’t have come, not while his friends were still there for the show. My gut clenched as I remembered the heartbroken expression on Cielo’s face before we’d separated. If I had somehow ruined the entire experience for him, making him avoid a once in a lifetime opportunity, then I would deserve whatever misery came my way.

Despairing but unwilling to give up just yet, I paced away from where his friends sat. There was still an entire section of the rolling hills for me to search, and I wasn’t going to stop until I was absolutely sure Cielo wasn’t there.

The air around me burst to life with a splash of green. I stopped, staring upward to the sky which was lit with waving bands of color. Blinking, I watched in amazement as the colors weaved their way across the sky, the beauty of the cosmic moment stopping my thoughts.

It was only for a moment however, and my amazed expression fell. Yes, the Northern Lights was an absolutely breathtaking and beautiful scene. The clear black of the night sky had become the perfect canvas for the waves of color dancing across it, but without Cielo there at my side, I couldn’t enjoy it. What I wanted, was to hear him ooh and ahh over it, cooing as he excitedly chattered about the various hues, bringing his own colorful tale about something his brain had leapt upon after seeing it.

“Dominic?”

I whirled around, immediately spotting Cielo in the crowd. Even if he was one of the only people still standing, I would have known that shock of unruly white hair anywhere. His expression was puzzled as he stood, hands shoved into his jean pockets.

I stepped forward, unsure of what I was going to say. Cielo continued to stare at me, tilting his head curiously. The expression of confusion and hesitation on his face was too much for me. I remembered the sleepy expression of contentment on his face as I held him in my moonlit bedroom, the soft smile on his face when he told a story that made him happy, the look of pleasure as he dug into a hearty meal after working all day. I never wanted him to ever look as worried and unhappy as he did beneath the glow of the Northern Lights.

I stepped forward, took hold of him and pulled him into a desperate kiss.

Cielo tensed, surprise rippling through his body as I enfolded him in my arms. I almost pulled from the kiss, suddenly afraid I’d gone too far. Then, he softened, his body melting against mine and returning the kiss. My heart thudded feverishly, and my spirit soared as he wrapped his arms tight around my waist.