One

The aroma of coffee hits me as I walk through the door of the café and stand in line.

I glance around and then check some apps on my phone and, ensuring all is fine, close them and tuck my phone into my pocket.

I smile at Dean over the counter as I become the first in line.

"Hey Z! Regular?" Dean asks, already pouring it in a cup. He was so reliable with my caffeine.

"Yeah, thanks." I hand him the money.

"Doing anything this weekend?" Dean asks as he hands me my to-go cup. There's no one in line behind me so I lean against the counter while we speak.

"Not that I know of. What are you up to?"

"A few of us are going to the movies together." He says, tucking his long hair behind his ears. In over a decade, I'd never seen Dean with hair shorter than his shoulders.

"Sounds like fun." I say, taking the cup from him. "Thank you."

"Fun you could have," He says and I shake my head, "Ugh," he groans playfully, "They're all bringing a girl and doing their thing, and I'll just be like the seventh wheel or whatever. It's always awkward. Come on, save me." He says melodramatically and I laugh.

"Why do you go if it's awkward and not fun?" That sounds pointless.

"Because I don't have a life, Z! You remember Carter and Will and them, don't you?"

Dean and I had gone to highschool together for a few years and he was always friendly and nice to me. From grade nine to now. We were never friends, more like acquaintances at best, which was about as friendly as I'd been with anyone in high school. And I hadn't seen him after high school until I ran into him again getting coffee a while back. But he seemed like a decent guy. When it was slower at the cafe, we would talk for a few minutes. We had coffee after a few of his shifts a couple times, too. I didn't have many friends, but I considered him one of them.

"Yeah, I remember them. You all still hang out?"

"Yeah, we've kept in touch these last few years. Live a little, Z, it's just a movie." I do like movies.

"It's not some chick-flick thing, is it?" I ask, turning my nose up.

Dean laughs, "No. So you'll come?"

"If I'm free." I don't care to go with him to a group thing. I don't care for group things much at all. I'm much more comfortable alone or one-on-one.

"How about I text you when all the plans have been finalized?"

"Sure." We were closer now than the four years we went to school together. We only had a few classes together then. Now we see each other a few times a week and hang out every so often when Dean invites me to something or we sit and chat over coffee. He was laid back and easy to chat with.

"Awesome!" He says happily, "I should get back to work before the big bad boss comes back."

I laugh at his mocking tone. His father owns the café and Dean has worked here since I can remember. High school was quite a while ago now, but Dean's life hasn't changed much it seems. "Yes, I'm sure you don't want to upset the boss."

"It's okay, he wouldn't fire me," Dean says cockily and I keep a straight face as I see his dad raise an eyebrow at that comment from behind him.

"But one of these days I'll make you actually work a shift." Dean's dad says from behind him with a chuckle and Dean jumps a little in shock. His dad gives me a small wave, which I return.

His dad was always happy and welcoming. His café has the same welcoming feel and warm atmosphere with light conversations and happy memories constantly being made at the tables. Slow turnover but usually most tables were occupied, no matter what time of day.