Nine

We're sitting in the car and he looks over at me, "What were you going to ask up there?"

"Nothing."

"Zeez." Zack says and then waits.

"How did you know about that cabin?" He pauses and I shake my head, "Sorry. Forget it. Nevermind."

He sighs so quietly it's barely audible before glancing at me, "I lived there for a few years back in the day."

"Way out in the bush? That's so cool." He gives me a small smile.

"It was probably the best years of my life." I didn't think he was saying it to me. It was almost like he was just realizing it himself.

I nod and let it go. Why he was hiding that I don't understand. But then again, I didn't even want to tell him about my mother dying, and that was no secret.

We're quiet until we pull up outside a hotel across town.

"So, are you sick of being my wife yet, baby?" He asks in a joking manner.

After thinking earlier today that there was a chance he wasn't coming back my instant reaction was No, I'm really happy you're alive to have as a fake husband. But he'd never let me live that down, "Again?" I ask.

"It can't be that bad."

"You get me, I'm stuck with you." I joke.

He looks to me with a smile, "Damn right." And he climbs out.

What was that? I was kidding... and he agreed. I don't understand that man. He's joking for everything, but when I joke around he becomes serious.

He opens my door and looks down at me, holding his hand out. I hold it and climb out, "Thank you."

I stand up out of the car and he's right in front of me, my chest to his, "Anything for you." He holds my look for a few beats.

It's so serious I look away. We walk inside, him holding our bags, his arm around me, and stand behind the family at the counter.

He holds me in front of him, his arms around me, and I rest my hands on his arms. The family at the counter in front of us is asking all kinds of questions and I can feel Zack getting annoyed, I knew he wanted to get out of sight of the windows. I let my head fall back onto his chest, relaxing into his hold. For show. Obviously.

He bends slightly, his lips by my ear, "I'm sorry we can't go to the beach."

I turn slightly to look at him and his eyes glance at my lips as I speak, his arms spinning me toward him until we're chest to chest, "What?"

He seems to get closer and his eyes glance at my lips again, "When you mentioned the beach yesterday you seemed like you really wanted to go. I'm sorry that's not a possibility until this is over."

"Don't apologize. I don't go to beaches very often." I go to turn back, but he keeps me to him, so I bring my hands up around his neck. It's for show. But his eyes are still on my lips. "It's not your fault. I hope I didn't make it sound like it was. I wish you could be living your life rather than holed up in a hotel with me, but-"

He pecks my forehead and I freeze. "I told you, babe, best vacation ever."

He seems so honest when he says that. As if he actually wanted to spend this much time confined in a room with me. He should've gone into acting.

"You're so dramatic."

"You're so oblivious," Zack says as his eyes connect with mine.

"I am not oblivious." I mumble as he leads us to the counter.