Season 2 part 2

Cats in the cradle

I entered the lab in a good mood. Greg and I had finally gotten together. I walked straight to his lab. "Hey," I said coming in. "Hey yourself," Greg said kissing my cheek. I looked over the paperwork. "Bomb, "I asked him. He nodded. About half an hour later my Dad came in. "Before you ask that swab of yours, from the end cap ... let's play "name that chemical compound." Today's category: "Explosives." 30 seconds on the clock," Greg said. I rolled my eyes playfully. Dad nodded, "Get it." Using a black marker, Greg starts to compose a compound on the glass board. I see Greg write the following H | H - C - ONO - | H - C - ONO - | H - C - | H.  "C-3 ... H-5 ... and three molecules of NO-3... nitroglycerin. The explosive component of dynamite, "Dad said. "Now, the other component for dynamite is either silica or sawdust. Your sample contains sawdust," I said. "Thanks you two. What'd I win?, "Dad asked

later

I was now regretting dating him. Thankfully Aunt Cathrine turned the music off. Greg stops. He takes the paper mask off of his mouth and smiles. "I could have been a rock star," he said. Uncle Grissom said, "there's still time, Greg. Tell us about the foreign substance we found in the vic's wound track." Greg removes the goggles and glove from his head. "Uh, well, I like to rub it all over a lady's body. Even better ... I, uh ... like it when she rubs it all over me. And it's also used as a stool softener," he said. "Never in a million years," I said. "It's also the only open lead in our case. Spit it out, one of you, "Aunt Cathrine said. "Mineral oil," I said, "Possibly used as a preservative to prevent rusting of high-carbon steel." Aunt Cathrine said, "Like the blades of knives." "Old knives. New ones are made from stainless steel. Yeah, I'm like a sponge. I just absorb information," Greg said. Uncle Grissom said, "I thought that was my line." "Yeah, and I absorbed it, "He said. Aunt Catherine clears her throat, "Okay, so ... knives, screwdriver, ice pick, letter opener. We're looking for a weapon with a splash of mineral oil. I'll grab the A.L.S." Greg looked at Uncle Grissom, "An A.L.S. For mineral oil?" "Can I tell him, "I asked Uncle Grissom who nodded? "Mineral oil fluoresces at 525 nanometers when filtered through a kv590. A little more absorbing ... a little less rock and roll," I said

Anatomy of a Lye

"So do want to tell me about the silver flecks I found? Paint chips?, "Uncle Grissom asked us. "Aluminum and melamine in the colour coat indicate that it's car paint. Factory job. Uh, body shop paint contains styrene, not melamine," I said. "Mm, what type of car," he asked. "Trick question. Paint won't tell me that. But I do have an answer. It's not technically part of my job description but as you know, I'm always eager to expand my responsibilities. Take a look down the scope," Greg said to him. Through the microscope, I saw the piece of glass Aunt Sara picked up from the roadway. The magnification increases and now you can see the crosshairs on the plastic. Uncle Grissom commented, "Looks like some sort of insignia." "Crosshairs. That's the plastic you collected at the accident site. Now that mark is only found on the S-Class Mercedes. It's all about branding. Now knowing that the headlight came from a Mercedes, I was able to compare the infrared spectra with the paint spectra supplied by the manufacturer. Check this out,"I said. Greg hands Uncle Grissom the test results. "Your vehicle was painted, Sarasota Silver. Also, only available on the S-Series '99 models. I checked with the Mercedes State Rep. Five were sold in Nevada. Sara's tracking down the owners," Greg said. Oh, he was gonna get it. "You've, uh, already shared this information with Sara?, "Uncle Grissom asked. "Yeah, an hour ago. And she was way more fascinated than you are," he said. "Well somewhat fascinated by the fact that I'm your boss, but you talked to her first, "Uncle Grissom said. "Well, you were at dinner," He said "I've been in the lab all day, Greg, "Uncle Grissom said and he left. "Why didn't you say anything," Greg asked me. "Sweetheart I still need to pass my entrance exam, "I said.

We stand next to the glass wall to the lab. We face the large wall monitor that shows what Dad is working on inside the room on the computer. Dad looks up and smiles. "Come on in, you two," he said. "Hey Dad," I said. "So I heard about your cold maggot," Greg said. "News travels fast, "dad said. "I was thinking -- most people figure Las Vegas means the strip. But it really means "the meadows", "Greg said. "I'm trying to calculate barometric pressures here, G," He said. "Well, his point is Nevada is a Basin-and-Range State. Down in the desert basin, hardly any rain. But up in the mountain ranges, it's 40 inches a year. That's more than Seattle ... more than San Francisco, "I said. "Yeah, yeah, I see where you're going. Last week in Vegas -- perfect weather. Warm, steady barometric pressure, but ... out in Diablo, two days before I found Stacy Warner's body, "Dad said showed us the computer screen Dad works on. Greg then commented, "The Mountain Shadow Effect. That's what meteorologists call it." Dad nods, "Right."

The Hunger Artist

I just got my week-long entrance exam done. SWEET FREEDOM AT LAST. Anywho I went straight to the lab to surprise my boyfriend. He was in the breakroom. I covered his eyes. "Guess who," I asked. "Destiny I know you," he said spinning around and kissing my head. I nodded as I sat down. "How was the test," he asked me. "It was draining but I managed to finish it, which means by September I will be working with you, "I said holding his hand. "If you pass," he said. "Think positive," I said flicking his forehead. "Come on we got a case," He said. "Leave me here to die, "I said. "Nope come on," He said and picked me up. Dad walked by. "Just so you know she's almost 20," He said and walked away. "That's normal," I said as Greg chuckled and me to the lab. 

Later 

Uncle Grissom was passing by us but I called out to him. "Uncle Grissom, "I called. "I, uh, ran the DNA on the epithelials from the homeless lady's ring," Greg said. "Cassie, "He asked. Greg hands Uncle Grissom the printout results.) "It's like a prince and the pauper, "he said. "No. Princess and the pauper. The Princess is a dead supermodel," I said. "Yeah. And her Pauper sister could be the killer, "Uncle Grissom said.

Later

GREG walks out of the break room with a cup of ramen) and a mouthful of noodles, while I got a sandwich. "Hey, guys. What you eatin'," Dad asked walking up to us. "Whatever didn't expire, "I said. Greg answered, "Little college cuisine." Dad nodded, "That stuff will kill you, you know." "Hasn't killed me yet," he said. Uncle Warrick came up to us and asked, "Greg-o, find any time between meals to check out Grissom's scrapings," "You mean Ashleigh's fingernail scrapings, "I asked. Dad and Uncle Warrick nodded. "Got a match," Greg said. "To Cassie, her sister," Uncle Warrick asked. "No. To the vic," I said. "Ashleigh, "Dad asked, "Yeah. The DNA under her fingernails was her own. Excuse us," Greg said as we left.