Season 3

Let the Seller beware

We were at a house that was on sale had a dead body on top of a pool canopy. We got the call as we were heading to the lab so we took a detour and here I was watching as dad cuts the canopy around our victim. "Okay, Warrick, hit it," Dad said. Uncle Warrick starts the crane support under the awning to remove the body and the canopy area that dad cut. "White female, multiple bruising ... bullet hole to the temple doesn't help. .380 auto on the side, "Dad said. Uncle Warrick added, "Yeah, somebody man-handled her pretty good before they killed her." Dad hummed along. 

After a while, Uncle Grissom shines his flashlight on the ground in front of him as he makes his way to the pool area. Dad is already at the edge of the pool. He's kneeling in front of something on the ground. It looks like something reddish mixed with something else. "Hey, Warrick, "dad called him over. Uncle Warrick walks over to where dad is. He also crouches down to look at what has dad's attention. "Yeah," he asked. "Check this out," Dad says and points to the watery-looking liquid substance on the poolside. "It's a little thin for blood, isn't it," Dad asked. Uncle Warrick nodded, "Yeah." Dad and I watch as Uncle Warrick sticks his finger into the red substance. "What do you ...." I started to ask but then Uncle Warrick then tastes it. "Ew," I said. Uncle Warrick commented, "Tastes like sugar." "Erythrosine," Uncle Grissom stands a distance behind us. He has his flashlight pointed up at a hummingbird feeder hanging near the light. It has a red liquid in it. "Red dye number three," he said "Hummingbirds do love the colour red," Nick said. "You've been watching way too much Discovery Channel," Warrick said to dad and turned to Uncle Grissom and me and said, "This guy needs a girl." As I rolled my eyes both Uncle Warrick and dad stood up. "I'm going to check out the cabana Uncle Warrick said then leaves. Dad continues to look at the poolside and said, "No visible footprints." Uncle Grissom said to dad, "Doesn't mean someone wasn't out there. Grab the ALS." Dad nodded, "Yeah."

At this time, Aunt Sara arrives and walks to the pool making her way to Uncle Grissom. She's carrying her CSI kit. She passes Dad who is on his way to get the ALS. "Hey," she said to him and Dad greets her with her name, "Sara." Aunt Sara steps in front of Uncle Grissom who is still kneeling by the poolside. I overheard Aunt Sara and Uncle Grissom's Conversion. "I am so sorry," she said. Uncle Grissom looks at his watch. "I paged you two hours ago," he told her. "Right. Uh, it's my day off. I was up in Pahrump at some vineyard. You told me to get a life, remember," Aunt Sara said and smiles at Uncle Grissom but it seems he didn't return the smile. Uncle Grissom asked, "Did I?" Aunt Sara's smile slowly fades as Uncle Grissom doesn't say anything for a moment. He pulls out his orange-tinted goggles from his kit. Uncle Grissom then said, "I'm sorry, but I needed you. Dispatch called in a 419 at Tuscadero High School. You're on your own." At any other time, Aunt Sara would jump at the chance but she didn't look happy. "On my own," Aunt Sara asked. Uncle Grissom looks back up at Aunt Sara and I see their eyes meet. Uncle Grissom said, 'Solo," and he puts on his goggles intending to go back to work and effectively dismissing her. Aunt Sara stands there a moment looking at Uncle Grissom. She is not pleased by what she just heard. Aunt Sara said, "see you around," and turns around and leaves. On her way out, she passes dad who has since returned with the ALS machine.

 Dad walked up to Uncle Grissom and asked, "So does this mean when I come in on my day off I get to work solo?" Dad puts his goggles on as Uncle Grissom points to the equipment at his  feet and says, "Process." I put on the spare goggles as Dad turns on the ALS and starts to examine the poolside. He sees the footprints immediately. "Whoa. you got what looks like two sets of prints. Ballpark in a size ten from the house. And what looks like a ... size 12, possibly from the pool," I said. Dad puts the portable machine down when he reaches Uncle Grissom. He kneels down low. There were definitely two guys here, Griss," Dad said. "Now we just need to figure out if one of them was Mr. Newman, "Uncle Grissom said.  Uncle Warrick walked back and said, "Hey, fellas and Destiny. Looks like the husband pulled a Clark Kent and left all his clothes behind. Couldn't have gone far. I got his wallet, credit card and keys." Uncle Warrick shows us the set of car keys he's holding in his hand. As Uncle Grissom and Dad stood up Uncle Warrick asked, "You hear that? What is that?" Dad said, "Oh, yeah, it's the pool. It's been doing it all night." "Sounds like it's clogged," I said. Uncle Grissom then asked, "Did someone check this pool?" "First officer said it was clear," Dad said. Uncle Grissom looks at Dad. He points back to the pool and asked, "Does that pool look clear to you?" Dad looks at the pool. The water looks a bit cloudy to the casual observer. "Uh ... no, "Dad said.